Sign in with
Your question

Asus Striker Extreme 680i

Last response: in Motherboards
October 29, 2007 12:53:22 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some advice on the Asus Striker Extreme. I've been searching around and have read plenty of good but plenty of bad as well. I've currently got a P5N32 SLI Premium from Asus and am looking to upgrade to the 680i chipset at Christmas.
I'm looking to do some overclocking with my next board and the Striker looks very tempting.
Anyway... Is it worth it? if not what good alternatives are there?

Thanks in advance
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 136 V Motherboard
October 29, 2007 1:52:27 PM

680i is good but ge ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS instead , because it has the same features and its cheaper (ASUS STRIKER EXTREME is expesnive because it has some extra features like LCD POSTER which isnt worth it )
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2007 2:40:03 PM

Both are compatible with the new Penryn. Just need a Bios update.
Related resources
October 29, 2007 4:01:24 PM

I've got one and am very happy with it.

Wierdly, I've found that overvolting the chipset can actually have a negative affect on the maximum overclocking limit. I've read that some others have found the same thing.

The nVidia chipset does seem to run very hot normally (40-50C), and the supplied chipset cooler seems small for the amount of heat it has to deal with. Maybe I should try adding the chipset into my existing watercooling system (thats currently just doing the CPU and two 8800GTX's).

October 29, 2007 5:05:05 PM

Striker is a nice board. Have had mine since May and love it. niz is correct, the nVidia chipset does run a little hot, but is still stable.
November 3, 2007 2:19:54 AM

mine is on it's way to me along with a q6600 .. a badly needed upgrade that was long overdue, so I decided to splurge on a new system build.
!