[Help] Samsung F1 Hdd problem

Maxi-

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Good Morning everyone!

Since yesterday I have a problem likely related to my hard disk drive. I'm using a Samsung F1 750Go (HD753LJ) with a P5K Premium Wifi/Ap MoBo. My pc is suddenly very slow, especially with moving, copying or unzipping files (and other Hdd-related things). I checked the connections aswell as the Bios Settings (Udma 5 activated on auto).
I already had this problem a couple weeks ago, where it was related to a connected external USB hard drive; as soon as I connected the external HDD, my whole pc would slow down. I resolved the issue by connecting my F1 to Sata port 6 instead of port 5... Until now! I again tried changing the Sata ports, went from 6 back to 5, but this time no avail; still slow as hell. Maybe it's related to a certain option/configuration that once (de)activated on those ports stops my F1 from running properly? I don't have acces to the ports 1 & 2, because of my long Graphic card blocking them. Ports 3 and 4 are black instead of the usual red, apparently non-bootable (says user manual).

So yes, here I am, asking help from fellow interwebians. After searching around I tested my Hdd with HD tune 2.55, and you can indeed see that the drive is running rather slow. Seems to be limited at 3,6mb/s. I've also included a screenshot found on the web from the 'normal' speeds. Scary!

hdtune1.jpg

samsunghd753lj-disk1.png

Any suggestions? :p

XP Pro
E8400
P5K Premium wifi/ap
G.Skill pc8000 2Gb
8800 GTS

Maxi-

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I've just found a solution, thanks to a Techgeek from another website.

Apparently windows sometimes randomly puts a certain IDE channel into 'PIO' mode, which limits transfers at 3,6mb/s. To remove it, go into device manager, go to atapi/ide controllers, check each under advanced settings and uninstall the one that is in PIO mode. Reboot, works like a wonder!