Sign in with
Your question

Really noob question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2007 12:24:49 AM

So I was reading up on the 8600GT Vs HD2600XT, and bumped into comments along the lines of "HD2600XT isnt so good with Anti-aliasing"

Wondering if someone could explain Anti-aliasing, I've googled it, but its confused me. I dont even know if I use it on my 6600GT or if it even has it. Does it have a big effect of gaming?

If anyone would be so kind to explain :love: 

Nismo

More about : noob question

October 22, 2007 12:32:43 AM

Anti-aliasing smooths the picture on screen to produce a better image (less jagged lines or "jaggies"). If you like things being pretty, you want to turn it on. There's varying levels of it (2x, 4x, etc.) that scale for even better image quality, but they're also more taxing on your system.

To put the 2600XT thing into perspective, if you like all the eye-candy and turning your resolution up hgiher, then that card isn't for you. It does well at lower resolutions, but once you start turning things on like Anti-aliasing, then it struggles, largely because of the limited memory bandwidth (it's only 128-bit, making it closer to an x1650 rather than an x1950, or a 7600GT if you're an Nvidia person).
October 22, 2007 12:36:19 AM

If memory bandwidth where the only issue then raising the memory clock would solve that, it doesn't.

AA smoothes out jagged edges on games, its impact depends on what type you use, inaly there are SSAA and MSAA, SuperSampling simply renders the image at 2x2 in each direction or 4x4 in each direction, and its 4x AA and 16x AA relatively.

MultiSampling is my prefered option which uses something I have never understood, but its very nice towards performance and I find 4x MSAA aslong with that setting I cant remember atm set to multisampling usually gives me 100% crisp pictures.
!