GTX 8800 upgrade but no improvements in MAYA?

lou4uandme

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hi,

I have the 6800 GT and decided to upgrade to the GTX 8800. Before I swapped cards, I made some 3d scenes in MAYA and 3D studio MAX and created a camera fly-by. I added more polygons to the scene until the camera got Jerky or sluggish. At that point i knew that i was pushing the limits of the video card. Then I install the GTX 8800. I got scores from the 6800 (13frame/sec) to GTX (19 frames/sec). What gives??
I was expecting at least 26-40 frames increase. So I Bench tested with 3DMARK 06. The card was FAST on the Bench test but shows no improvement to the applications such as MAYA ,VUE, Motionbuilder, 3D Studio MAX, etc..

The odd thing is....Everytime I have upgraded my Cards in the past, I would do the same tests between cards and ALWALYS seen big improvements. Why NOT THIS TIME??

Thanks,
Lou

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
The 8800GTX will bottleneck most cpu's upto a quad core.
What processor are you using and did you upgrade this along with your video card? If not and you still using a P4 for example then you're not going to see much fps increase with the 8800.

lou4uandme

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hi Guys,
I didn't upgrade the system, I built a new system so I have 2 pcs side by side.
1 Pent 4 3.4 HT/ 2500ram/6800 GT 256 ram VIDEO
and the new
Quad Core 2.4/3000ram/GTX8800 768 ram
I created scenes that would start to bog down the PENT 4 (ORBITING/ FLYBYS)and then send the file to the QUAD and see how much faster and smoother it is. It's killing me because looking at the Specs of both PCs, there should be a LARGE difference in video performance, and there's not. However, Rendertime is INCREDABLE. On the PENT 4, a test scene took 22 minutes to render in VUE XSTREAM and it took 1.53 minutes on the QUAD !!!

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
That's weird alright..any luck from the lads at beyond3d.com?
I don't use that Maya etc so I wouldn't know about it.
You could also try changing the driver for the card..could be a driver issue?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
it sound strange but maybe your hitting maya limit, try splitting up the project.

this maybe on of the few programs which get a real kick from just really high clock rate rather than a good but slower CPU.

also don't forget that maya may have been optimized for hardware of that generation so unless this version your using has only just come out, then you may have to wait..

and as a final point i dont suppose your system is running vista, are there any know problem concerning vista user and maya

lou4uandme

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hi Guys,

I'm running XP. I uninstalled VISTA. It's a piece of ****.

I wrote on 3Dbeyond and they talked about hacking the card. I think i'll stay clear of that. The card is clearly faster than my old 6800 but unfortunately, my programs don't benifit much by it.