p5k-vm BIOS boot failure?

razor206

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Hi, I bought this board about 3 weeks ago. Before i RMA it, I want to know what I could do.

While in Windows yesterday the screen crapped out, and a BSOD flashed before it restarted. Then there was no image on the screen.

I tried rebooting a couple of times, without any image on screen nor any beeping sounds, then when switching the DVI cable to the 2nd port (my card has 2 ports), the screen came back up, but i got an "Overclock Failure!" error and it told me to press f1 to run setup or f2 to continue with defaults. I have not OC'ed anything.

when continuing with defaults, the screen never came back up.

This message would come up occasionally before this incident, but using the default values (F2) it would go away. Sometimes Windows XP would startup but restart automatically. This would not happen in my Linux Mint partition.

I tried clearing the cmos, and that helped to get back into the BIOS, before the BIOS hung and i could not do anything but reset the computer.

All my settings were on in the BIOS were on Auto. I haven't done a Memtest yet. I will try using 1 stick of ram instead of 2, to see if that helps, but for now, any suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

This is my setup:
Asus p5k-VM Motherboard
XFX 8600 GT 256mb PCI-E card
Intel E4400 2.0g CPU
2x1gb Crucial Ballistix RAM DDR2 800
seagate sata 320gb hd

razor206

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I figured something out, one of the ram sticks messed up. I tested each stick individually and found one of them would produce the symptoms (No beeps, no screen). I had to RMA it. Since i answered my own question, I hope this helps someone else out in the future. To whoever read this, thanks for reading.

krhym3574r0n3

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
uhhh the exact same thing just happened to me? i have 2 GB of ram and the p5v or pv5 or whatever.... anyway, are you saying that one of my 1GB sticks is going bad? I don't understand how this affects my cpu or make my bios try to overclock itself... your ram burned out too maybe..? maybe i don't know wtf i'm talking about, but i'm super worried. i seem to be in the first phase of your problem, i just pressed F2 to get here from my bios...

how do you make the bios STOP trying to overclock itself?