Certain games studdering.

MatthewP

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Alright I have an issue with certain games. What happens is my games will studder when there is a lot of activity. Example: In Oblivion, If I am being attacked by 1 or more monsters or people my game will studder. This happens in FEAR, Oblivion, Serious Sam 2 and Hellgate London demo. There are a few more but you get the idea. This does not happen in any source games. Serious Sam 2 maxed ran fine before the upgrade. Now it runs like dirt with all of the studdering.

Something I might want to add. I used to have an older setup and then upgraded just my GPU to the 8800. Then I upgraded everything else but the PSU.

Specs: Nvidia 8800 GTS 320mb
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1ghz
Antec 500w PSU
2 Gigs Patriot RAM
Asus P5N32-E SLI
Windows XP

I have reformatted 3 times since I have upgraded my PC. The problem has still happened after each reformat. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers, researched it on google, went to other forums.

I have feel like I have done everything and nothing has worked. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What is the make and model of your PSU? I see it's a 500w Antec, but did that come with the case? There have been reports with older Antec PSU's that were bundled with cases that were iffy, so that is why I'm asking. Did you plug into the 8800gts's 6 pin power connection point? I'm not sure if this helps, but just throwing out some ideas of where to check.

MatthewP

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I'm quite sure about my PSU but I will look into the 6 pin power connection point. I'll check it and get back to you on that.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I think there could be a good chance that your PSU is struggling. Especially if it worked fine on a previous card, I dont think theres anything else on that system that would bottleneck the 8800GTS.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

My thoughts exactly. My P4 3GHz , 7800GTX 256mb and 2 gb of ram could play Oblivion nicely, it would take ten or more people to cause it to shutter and 20 to cause shuttering badly. Sounds like your system is throttling down to me. I suspect your PSU or drivers.

Uh, I bet since he's running Windows XP he's running DX9. I don't think the drivers meant for Vista would install on a Windows XP machine.

Couldn't hurt to check to see what sort of temperatures your seeing on both your graphics card and CPU when under load. I am not totally for synthetic benchmarks, but they can be usefull in stressing hardware, just for sh1ts and giggles try running 3DMark 05/06. Monitor your temps while doing this and see if you are hitting extraordinarily high temps.

MatthewP

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I just ran a 3dmark06 test and got a 7645. I'm thinking of getting a 700 Watt PSU. As for the drivers, I'm running the latest and have reinstalled them three times. My temperatures are fine. 34 degrees idle. I checked while playing Oblivion how much stress my CPU was under and it was fine.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I get 6921 with my PC in my sig. If your running higher resolution then that might tell us why your score is low, the higher resolution you go the lower your 3Dmark score will be.

720Watt PSU>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194021