add a start up program

July 11, 2005 6:00:30 PM

Hi- I downloaded an internet free timer program. It measures simply how long
a person is on the internet (dial-up)- to start this program, I can click on
the program when on line and it opens up the program and starts the clock
countdown. so, I emailed the company of this program because I wanted it to
automatically OPEN up as soon as my internet explorer has been 'activated'.
I did not know how to do this. this is what they told me to do:
<start the program once you start windows, copy a link to your
windows autostart folder. Once it is started it always starts
counting the onlinetime when you are online>
question is, I DONT know how to do this probably simple task. can someone
please show me?
windows xp home edition

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

More about : add start program

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:31:04 PM

First, read these directions completely.
Then locate the file that you want to place in Start Folder.
Click on it and hold the button down,
Drag it to your Start Button in the lower left corner of your screen
DONT let go of the button yet! I'll tell you when :)
Once you hover over the Start Button, the menu will open,
Then hover over All Programs,
Then hover over the Startup Folder.

Once the Startup Folder opens, there'll be a grey box that pops out to the
right. It may or may not have items in it (depending on what you've got that
autostarts).

Hover over the grey box so that a black line appears across the box.
Then, press the Alt key - a little shortcut arrow should appear in the lower
left of the file that you're holding. If so, just let it go there and it'll
drop the shortcut into your Startup Folder.

Alternatively - since the above gets a bit tricky at times - is to open
Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\ **your profile
name here**\Start Menu\Programs\Startup - That's where the shortcut should be
placed for it to work for you. You can also put it in the profile named All
Users for it to take effect for everyone. Then click,hold, drag, press Alt
and drop it in the Startup folder

Double check to make sure it's a shortcut and that you haven't accidentally
moved the actual file by checking it's properties. If you've moved it, just
move it back to where it belongs - without holding the Alt key - and start
over.

Good luck!
"Marcy" wrote:

> Hi- I downloaded an internet free timer program. It measures simply how long
> a person is on the internet (dial-up)- to start this program, I can click on
> the program when on line and it opens up the program and starts the clock
> countdown. so, I emailed the company of this program because I wanted it to
> automatically OPEN up as soon as my internet explorer has been 'activated'.
> I did not know how to do this. this is what they told me to do:
> <start the program once you start windows, copy a link to your
> windows autostart folder. Once it is started it always starts
> counting the onlinetime when you are online>
> question is, I DONT know how to do this probably simple task. can someone
> please show me?
> windows xp home edition
>

> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:18:31 PM

Create a shortcut to your program in the Startup folder.
To get to the Startup folder, paste this in the Start-Run box:

%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:00:30 -0700, "Marcy" <RM@RMcom> wrote:

>Hi- I downloaded an internet free timer program. It measures simply how long
>a person is on the internet (dial-up)- to start this program, I can click on
>the program when on line and it opens up the program and starts the clock
>countdown. so, I emailed the company of this program because I wanted it to
>automatically OPEN up as soon as my internet explorer has been 'activated'.
>I did not know how to do this. this is what they told me to do:
> <start the program once you start windows, copy a link to your
> windows autostart folder. Once it is started it always starts
> counting the onlinetime when you are online>
>question is, I DONT know how to do this probably simple task. can someone
>please show me?
>windows xp home edition
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:44:21 PM

Why do you need such a thing?

The Dial Up Networking icon (the one in your systray when connected shows
you how long you've been online, double click, you'll get a dialogue box
with various info about the connection).

Anyway, all you need to do is add a short cut to the "Startup" folder, and
then that program will start when Windows loads. (you need to re-boot of
course).

!