Gaming performance difference between P4 3.2 and a Barcelona processor

Do_u_sEx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
My question is what sort of gaming difference do I expect when changing from a p4 3.2 to a mid range Barcelona processor?

I have an ati x1900xtx, 1 gig pc3200 ram, 320 gig 7200.10 Seagate, Gigabyte 81915 Pro motherboard. Ill be changing the ram to 2 gig 1066 patriot 5-5-5-15, and a new AM2+ motherboard.

Assuming no overclocking, what difference should i expect?

Also, should a mid range Barcelona be better than an AM2 6400+?

Thanks...

G

You realize you're asking for the difference in a chip that not only isn't out yet, but you have no idea what frequency it will run at. There is no answer to that question.

And if you're not OCing, why are you buy 1066 memory? Whats the point of that? Save your money and get 667, you wouldn't notice the difference.

I currently have a gerbil that can run 75 rpm's in his excerise wheel but want to know if I get a hamster and shoot him up with anabolic steroids, how many more rpm's can I expect? Will it be enough to run a small generator to power a 1000w incadescent light bulb?

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

A very big difference

see above

I would hope so

jwolf24601

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007

Probably not and it would void the warranty on the hamster.

Maybe you could try getting a second Gerbil, using the dongle and running them in a Crossrat configuration. Assuming your wheel supports dual rodent configurations...

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
this has got be one of the worst posts by a troll recently.

still, considering barcelona is a server chip and phenom is going to be the desktop, i would wait to see how it performs.

seriously, from your post it would seem that you put a 6400+ in the same league as a 3.2p4 given that you are asking how they would perform against the same chip.

now, it could be that you are upgrading from a 3.2p4 to a new AMD comp(why not intel?) and are needing to compare that to a new cpu and you could also be wanting to know if it is better to buy a plain old althonx2 rather than splash some more dosh.

still, the ridiculousness of the question stinks of trollish **** and does not deserve to be taken seriously.

I couldn't stop laughing for the 3 seconds it took the page to load (looking at the thread title), your reply put me over the top. :lol:

Do_u_sEx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Freakin damn... I must have been really floating in a fudgy mess...

*shake my head*

Ah welll...

Let me rephrase it...

My question: --- "From your estimate, what sort of gaming performance increase do you THINK I would expect if I upgraded from a Prescott 3.2 to one of the Phenom processors, lets say, one clocked at 2.6?"---

I know its not out but just give me your opinions and estimates. And yes, I just FEEL like getting higher clocked mem.

strangestranger, :D , STFU!

UK_GANGSTA, im Mad Jack Mc Mad. :hello:

Really depends on the number of cores the software can use. I'll try to rationalize this for you. A 6400+ should be near a 2.4GHz C2D but a 2.4GHz C2Q beat the 2GHz Barcelona. The answer is both yes and no as mid range Barcelona is going to loss to the 6400+ in both single and dual core optimized programs but will win in quad core optimized programs.

Now if you mean phenom then the mid range is the question. I can only point you to AMD's release schedule and I'm not about to suggest phenom will perform anything like barcelona.

Do_u_sEx

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I know its a poor question.
*rolls head sleepily*
OK OK, its a bloody damn joke of a question, I admit. No need to rub it in.
Hell man, im off to sleep, see you all later...

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
And the Barcelona will only be available @ 2.4Ghz not 2.6Ghz.
The 2.4Ghz has a much higher TDP than the 2.2Ghz, so getting 2.6Ghz out of the Barcy will likely be serious OCing since they are already cranking up the heat to get to 2.4.

Future steppings will fix that, but likely not the ones that ship.

Secondly, this is the worst possible upgrade.
Upgrade your GPU with that cash.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

I was refering to strangerstranger becuase hes from scotland, and hello :hello:

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007

good one!!! :D

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007

Lol crossrat! rofl! lmao!

lghtmup98

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007

You would probably be better off upgrading to a squirel, or a badger (if money is no object). Usually, one larger rodent is better then 2 smaller ones because they do not scale well......

TRENDING THREADS