Corrupted files and unresponsive keyboard

knbofink

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi

I don't know what the exact problem is so I'm guessing where to post this thread.
And this is the first time I have ever tried to put a computer together.

XFX nForce 680I SLI Motherboard
XFX GeForce 8800GTS
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Corsair TWIN2X 4GB
Antec Preformance One P182 SE
Antec SmartPower 500w
X-FI Xtreme Gamer
Windows Vista x64 OEM

Symptoms:
Before I could install Vista I got the blue screen, I solved this by removing two of my RAM and putting them back when I finished the installation.
I then started downloading updates for Vista and just as it reached 99% of the installation I also started to install Firefox.
This is when yet again the blue screen strikes. When I try to start her up again I get +0xc000000f error and nvstor64.sys is corrupted. I mount the Vista disk but now the keyboard won't do my biding anymore. The keyboard is USB but my external hard drive reacts to the computers starting up and shutting off.

I don't think I have missed anything, but I have been at this for 10h now so I will go to bed, I hope to have some friendly advice in the morning.

Cheers to you all.

knbofink

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I reset the motherboard and start again, but I'm hoping someone could tell me what happened, my rig don't seem that stable.

You can try to enter the bios and adjust the memory voltage and timings manually. I would bump up the voltage to 2.0 and increase the timing settings higher than default. If this doesn't work, you may have to run with 2 memory sticks for stability. If your system won't post, use the cmos jumper to reset the bios back to default and start over. This may take awhile, so don't give up quickly. Your going to have to try several settings until your system can pass memtest and one of the stress programs such as prime 95.

Do your install with 2GB of RAM. They while you're doing all your driver installs, updates, and the 500,000 restarts - reach out Microsoft support, grab and install KB 929777. Reboot with 2GB, then later install the other 2 at your convenience.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Well, the fact that you are having to remove 2 memory sticks from your computer is a red flag. Clearly something isn't right with your build and you need to troubleshoot further. You can't just remove 2 sticks case Vista wouldn't install and then plug them back in later to 'fool' Vista into not noticing the previous problem ;).

Try using a memory test app like memtest86+ or something like that. You 'shouldn't' have to change the timing or voltage if you aren't overclocking. If that passes the tests then it's time to start testing components to figure out where the problem lies.

knbofink

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for all the brain storming, Vista is up and running again, but I will leave the 2GB for now and focus on everything else. I will look in to what you all said later today, thanks again.

knbofink

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Scotteq was dead on the KB929777 update fixed the problem, everything works with all four RAM now. Thanks for your help.