Loud GameXstream 700W PSU. Any Quiet Ones? Silent? Getting headaches..

Hey, I'm having a problem with my current power supply. It's gotten kind of loud. I hear the sound of a fan going, but what's really annoying is this high pitched noise that's not real audible, but is still annoying.

It's a Game Xstream 700W power supply.

Does anyone know of any Silent Power supplies that produce enough power for a crossfire setup, 3 hard drives, some lights in the case, and maybe a overclocking setup with the processor? I have liquid cooling. Here's my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor
X1900XTX Video Card (512mb)
2Gb DDR 800 Ram Crucial Balistix
Asus P5w Dh Deluxe Motherboard
LOUD Game X-stream 700W PSU
Liquid Cooling Setup
3 Hard drives.
6 answers Last reply
More about loud gamexstream 700w quiet ones silent headaches
  1. The GameXstream, made by OCZ, has a 3 years warranty on it, does it not? RMA for new one, I have one myself and I thought it is pretty quiet.
  2. I would recommend a PSU with a single 12V rail such as the Corsair VX550 or the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610. Both are very quiet and very high quality. Right now Newegg has a sweet price on that Silencer, and I'll even give you a link. Link :bounce:
  3. I would suggest the Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650. They make real quiet PSUs with a single 120mm fan.

Seasonic makes the Silencer 610 for PC Power & Cooling, but it uses a 80mm fan instead of a 120mm fan. Therefore, the fan must spin faster (& louder) to move more are than a 120mm fan. The Seasonic S12 650 will be my next PSU.

Update: Edited for some errors. Strange, I don't remember being drunk while typing. I also don't remember having an empty bottle of Macallan on my desk.
  4. jaguarskx said:
    I would suggest the Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650. They make real quiet PSUs with a single 120mm fan.

Seasonic makes the Silencer 610 for PC Power & Cooling, but it uses a 80mm fan instead of a 120mm fan. Therefore, the fan must spin louder to move more are than a 120mm fan. That will be my next PSU.

Or the Corsair HX620. Also made by Seasonic and very quiet.
  5. That deal on the silencer is not really all that great.

You can buy directly from their site for $119 though there is likely a shipping charge. (Great CPU though)

Seasonic's 650 would be a good deal too.
  6. Usually PS noise comes from fans but in your case it sounds like the noise you object to is a high freq noise from the electronics themselves (like a TV or DC motor controler). If you just wait 25 years you won't be able to hear it....I don't remember what causes this noise so I'll get back with you later after I remember...
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product