Sign in with
Your question

Loud GameXstream 700W PSU. Any Quiet Ones? Silent? Getting headaches..

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2007 11:51:32 PM

Hey, I'm having a problem with my current power supply. It's gotten kind of loud. I hear the sound of a fan going, but what's really annoying is this high pitched noise that's not real audible, but is still annoying.

It's a Game Xstream 700W power supply.

Does anyone know of any Silent Power supplies that produce enough power for a crossfire setup, 3 hard drives, some lights in the case, and maybe a overclocking setup with the processor? I have liquid cooling. Here's my specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor
X1900XTX Video Card (512mb)
2Gb DDR 800 Ram Crucial Balistix
Asus P5w Dh Deluxe Motherboard
LOUD Game X-stream 700W PSU
Liquid Cooling Setup
3 Hard drives.
October 11, 2007 12:21:52 AM

The GameXstream, made by OCZ, has a 3 years warranty on it, does it not? RMA for new one, I have one myself and I thought it is pretty quiet.
October 11, 2007 12:35:25 AM

I would recommend a PSU with a single 12V rail such as the Corsair VX550 or the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610. Both are very quiet and very high quality. Right now Newegg has a sweet price on that Silencer, and I'll even give you a link. Link :bounce: 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
October 11, 2007 1:03:44 AM

I would suggest the Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650. They make real quiet PSUs with a single 120mm fan.

Seasonic makes the Silencer 610 for PC Power & Cooling, but it uses a 80mm fan instead of a 120mm fan. Therefore, the fan must spin faster (& louder) to move more are than a 120mm fan. The Seasonic S12 650 will be my next PSU.

Update: Edited for some errors. Strange, I don't remember being drunk while typing. I also don't remember having an empty bottle of Macallan on my desk.
October 11, 2007 1:44:23 AM

jaguarskx said:
I would suggest the Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 650. They make real quiet PSUs with a single 120mm fan.

Seasonic makes the Silencer 610 for PC Power & Cooling, but it uses a 80mm fan instead of a 120mm fan. Therefore, the fan must spin louder to move more are than a 120mm fan. That will be my next PSU.

Or the Corsair HX620. Also made by Seasonic and very quiet.
October 11, 2007 1:44:35 AM

That deal on the silencer is not really all that great.

You can buy directly from their site for $119 though there is likely a shipping charge. (Great CPU though)

Seasonic's 650 would be a good deal too.
October 11, 2007 4:03:13 AM

Usually PS noise comes from fans but in your case it sounds like the noise you object to is a high freq noise from the electronics themselves (like a TV or DC motor controler). If you just wait 25 years you won't be able to hear it....I don't remember what causes this noise so I'll get back with you later after I remember...
!