Need Help: GeForce 7950Gx2

Allubz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
I've got an A8N-SLi SE and I've got this phat northbridge heatsink (the blue one from zalman) so I can't fit this HUGE (40cm or so) card in my primary PCI-E slot to see if it actually works (Plus to that I've got an analog (CRT) to DVI converter inbetween)

Short conclusion:
It's in the 2nd PCI-E slot
It has an vga -> dvi-i converter plugged

I've considered these:
- Putting one of my old 6600GTs in the main PCI-E slot and flash the GX2 bios to it's normal BIOS to make sure it's not messed up somehow (because the part were you screw the card has been messed up quite bad I don't know what the guy before me has done to it)
EDIT: Didn't work out because the system wouldn't boot like this????
- Buying / replacing the northbridge cooler with a new but really small cooler so I can fit the card in the 1st slot
- Any other way? Please tell me!!!!

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Idk if he said he put the old card in 1st slot the gx2 in 2nd slot and tried boot with the old card or what.

More details please, it is a pretty old rig to be using a GX2 with.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Ok what in the hell are you trying to say? Why would you put a 6600GT in PCI-E slot 1 and a 7950GX2 in PCI-E slot 2, and than flash the BIOS of the 6600GT (I'm assuming) to the 7950GX2 BIOS?

How will flashing a BIOS make it not messed up, when you state the screws or something is messed up? Software doesn't fix real life things...sorry. (If that was the case I'd so 010101010101010101010 your a** and fix this thread)

Do this...

Start a new thread, PREVIEW, reread 8 times, hit post. It might just help your cause. Maybe...

Allubz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
So many nice and wise replies, here we go then:

I have tried it in the second slot but I wasn't sure whether such a method can work at all.
- Thank you Hatman, it SHOULD work, which means there's something wrong with the GX2 to begin with.
@Bytch - READ:
Putting one of my old 6600GTs in the main PCI-E slot and flash the GX2 bios to it's normal (read original)BIOS

to make sure it's not messed up somehow (because the part where you screw the card has been messed up quite bad and I don't know what the guy before me has done to it)

EDIT: Didn't work out because the system wouldn't boot like this???? (so I'm just saying it wont boot with the GX2 in the second slot, and also not with the combo 6600GT primary + GX2 secundary

- Any other way? Please tell me!!!! THANKS for actually providing NEW and HELPFUL ideas!! (excluding Hatman out of the sarcasm)

So, the card won't boot at all, that's why I'm trying to flash it to it's original state because the guy who had it before me might have put an overclocked or unstable bios in it that messed it up. The only way I'd be able to do this is by booting the PC with a working card (the 6600GT)

The A8N-SLi should be able to pull the card seeing it has 20+ PCI-E lanes and my PSU has all the power it needs especially when the only things connected are the mobo+the card. No HDDs or DVDRoms whatsoever.

I don't if there's any OTHER way than random replies without helpful information (excepting Hatman again, thank you for replying with useful information) to know what might be wrong with the card (whether it's hardware or software) so any new ideas will be highly appreciated.

RMA is the last option.

I thank everyone that replies with a bit of common sense and helpful information in advance.

PS: justinmcg67 - "ha ha" the time you took for your useless reply you could've tried understanding my post, seeing your awesome vocabular skills you should've got at the idea of it.

vip3569

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Nice response, @$$

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I've been reccomended using a PCI card to flash mine back if it goes wrong.

Usually in the BIOS theres a setting for PCI/PCI Express and vice-versa, its good to try to use that, PCI graphics cards cost like 5quid if it doesnt work with a PCI-E card.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Or knowing how to properly make a thread works too. And seeing as the word "vocabular" isn't a word at all, I guess you should work on your, VOCABULARY skills. Good grief.

Allubz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Sure, trying to e-rage with someone who's trying hard to keep up with four languages at the same time is wrth the time...

/end rant

If anyone can give any more input than this semi-intelligent guy, please do so!

Allubz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Hi thanks for the defense MrsBytch.

I'm actually from the Netherlands and I'm sorry you didn't really understood the topicpost.

Yes you can flash a bios, just give it a quick google and you'll find out it's rather easy even.
So I was assuming that the person who had the card before me might have flashed the BIOS into a wrong state and didn't had the capability (eg. using another card to boot the PC) to flash it again to it's normal BIOS that works.

Anyway,

UPDATE:

I got the PC to boot with:
6600GT in primary (as the GX2 won't fit there)
GX2 in secundary

Problem is: Windows and any other programs won't detect the card at all so I'm not sure whether it's usable at all anyway. I might just RMA it somehow (as I don't have the original purchasing bill...)

If there's any input in how to get a unrecognized graphics card to be detected again (I know there can be a million causes, but the card seems ok from the outside) then I'd LOVE to hear some input!

Thanks again everyone with a informing reply, sorry I misunderstood you and reacted negative at you in the start too MrsBytch.

Allubz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Well I've got this really cheap ASRock mobo rig too I could put it in there, but it has a 400w PSU.

My own rig has a 535w PSU from Sharkoon, it ran 2x 6600GT (I know they don't consume as bad as the GX2 does) in SLi and hightly volted and clocked system with ease.

I'll try it in the other system too.

I got my system to boot with 6600GT and GX2 in it, but no program recognizes the card, not even NVFlash so it seems to me it's as dead as meat.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
You do realize the 7950GX2 uses 110w (8800GTS territory) so you would need 26amps for your psu.
Only reason I know this is I used it for the exteme power supply calculator when figuring what I need for the 8800GT (also 110w).

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Snap i got a dead 7950gx2 I dont use, without original bill an RMA is not possible, I bought mine on paypal apparantly taht doesnt count and its "warrenty" ran out 1month after I bought it "new".