Need help with a PSU

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am putting together a new system to keep me held over until the newer processors come out in which I plan on dumping out some serious cash for a gaming system. At the moment I'm currently just trying to have something that will run TFC2 and WoW a lot better than my p4s800d-x/478/AGP (5200le) combo could ever do (not looking for spectacular results) for about 300 or so. I am buying all these parts online and it will be my first actual build I plan on doing myself. Currently, this is what I will be ordering:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram: WINTEC 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Vid Card: ASUS EN7300GT SILENT/HTD/256M GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI

I have an ATX case and due to the mobo only having 1 IDE Slot, I am picking up a controller so I can have the extra slot I need to add up to 2. (Old Pata HDD and 2 Optical Drives)

I am a bit stuck on PSU's and what i need, I don't know much of them (my current one is a 150w i believe) and I dont have a lot of money to dump on one atm, need one for like 20 bucks or so that can hold me over for at least 2 months, in which i am starting a new job and can dump out what is needed for superbness. I am ordering from Newegg so would like it to be from there. Also if anyone has any better suggestions I am open to them as I am still learning.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Edit: doesnt have to be a cheaper psu, just need to get an idea of what i should be looking for or a suggestion of a decent one.

I agree 100% with the part about Fortron :)

However, the part about buying on a credit card when you know you won't be able to pay it in full scares me. The typical credit card interest is 18%/year.

Also, lots of jobs have a probation period (say, 3 months). I know you'll hate this advice, but here it is anyway: forget the PC, focus on doing a great job the next 3 months, then get that Fortron paying cash.

Good luck and congrats for the new job, by the way :D :D