Sign in with
Your question

Is my overclock unstable?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 8, 2008 12:50:47 AM

I have an Opteron 170 overclocked to 2.95Ghz on air. Voltage is all the way up on my A8N SLI Premium (for now :sarcastic:  I think I'll mod it after I put my water cooling in this week). Anyway, she's prime95 stable and tops out at about 58C under torture. My problem is that Call of Duty 4 makes my computer hang. When I run prime95, I set it to the middle setting "In-place FFTs (. . . some RAM tested). Otherwise, it won't last very long.

Am I running prime95 incorrectly? Should I be torture testing the RAM also. I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486 running at 210Mhz and stock voltage . . . slightly overclocked. Should I bump the memory voltage? I've never done this and am concerned since I don't know what the temps are on RAM.

This concerns me since I plan on watercooling and volt modding this week to push her past 3Ghz. I know it's not really worth it, but just try to stop me!

More about : overclock unstable

January 8, 2008 2:17:45 AM

Well. Take RAM out of the equation for now. Lower HT multi to 4. Run Prime 95 Small FFT stress test and remember to enable Round off checking under the Advanced menu. Stress it for 24 hours. Or at least stress it while you sleep. If it errors at all, then you know it's your CPU. If it passes, then most likely it's RAM.

At that point, you can return the HT multi to 5 and try to slightly over-volt it. Most likely, you won't see a difference at HTx4 and you will generate less heat and require less voltage.

Get the CPU nailed down first, then work on the RAM :) 
January 8, 2008 8:00:27 AM

nice job
Related resources
January 8, 2008 5:37:43 PM

I thought that I did have the CPU nailed down, but COD4 crashed my system.

I guess I am asking about prime95. If a CPU is prime95 stabil for twenty four hours, is there any program that will crash it, like COD4?

COD isn't going to push my CPU more than prime95 is it?

BTW I'm putting together my water cooling system right now. I'll start another thread about the details.
January 8, 2008 5:40:56 PM

No, Prime95 will push it WAY harder than any game will. One question, did you remember to enable Round off checking in Prime 95? If you didn't, it won't report errors, and you'll think you were ok :) 
!