Sign in with
Your question

Random JPEG display error (new build)

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2007 9:39:51 AM

Hi guys!

I would need some help.

My friend just built a new PC for himself and we have an odd issue. When he tries to view JPEG images (with various programs) they are displayed corruptly form time to time. Going back to the image a couple of minutes later they show perfectly, but you always see a couple of random corrupt images which are never the same (eg. part of the image is missing, did not load; part of the image has incorrect colors like when you use a filter). The file itself is not corrupted - if you go back to that image later, it's fine.

What is this? CPU errata? Faulty SATA cable? GPU issue? RAM issue? We are clueless.

Specs:
Gigabyte nforce 570 SLI based board
X2 5200+ (Windsor) 2,6Ghz
2x1GB Kingmax DDR2800 RAM (defaulted to 2T timings, will try manual override to 1T today)
Geforce 8600GT VGA
320GB WD SATA2 HDD
SATA DVDRW
450W Chiefetc PSU
Win XP Pro (SP2), 32bit
NO OVERCLOCKING,all the latest drivers ARE installed, EXCEPT for the nvidia IDE and Sata drivers as those suck.

The build is new, so there was time for limited testing only, but Memtest86 ran for 45 minutes without errors, and (1 instance) of Prime for almost 4 hours with no errors (will do 8+ hours of 2 instances of Prime tonight). So far no stability issues.

Thanks!
B

PS: my friend initially installed Windows on an IDE HDD with the nvidia IDE drivers which caused immediate bluescreens and restarts. I advised him from personal experience to get rid of the nvidia storage drivers alltogether - Win XP bulit in is perfect as it is. No stability issues since then.
October 4, 2007 10:24:42 PM

If you haven't done so, update the video drivers. Try a different video card. Try a different monitor. Check the video card settings
October 4, 2007 11:23:24 PM

I've seen this several times before, 95% of the time it's the system RAM corrupting the image when loading it into memory.

Run MemTest86+ overnight and check for errors.

The memory may very well be fine since it's new, however, it could be a configuration issue with memory timings or voltage.

Make sure the memory is running in sync mode (1:1 ratio), loosen the timings to JEDEC standard and add a hair more voltage (like 0.05 ~ 0.1) and see if it clears up.

Also check for an updated BIOS on that board, if I recall, the release BIOS for that board had random data corruption issues (From the HDD Controller) that got cleared up with a BIOS release.

Notes: If the RAM was out-right bad, he'd be getting more BSoD's and stop errors relating to memory access. If the HDD was out-right corrupting data, his Windows install would have failed very soon after the SAM layer had been corrupted, which would have happened right away because it's always being accessed. If the CPU was bad, you'd also be getting constant stop errors.

More then likely, something is either being flaky or is misconfigured.

EDIT: I just noticed you spec'd 2GB of RAM, FYI, 45 minutes in MemTest86+ probably didn't complete a full pass. I usually see test #7 and #8 pick up on flaky or misconfigured memory.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2007 11:53:11 PM

Ram or Hard drive....drives do on the fly correction and reallocation.

Run memtest86 overnight....

Run the manufacturers tools to test the hard drive.

For the hell of it run prime95 25.5 overnight....

If you get errors from any thing above....post it and we will help further...
October 5, 2007 7:56:49 AM

nukemaster said:
Ram or Hard drive....drives do on the fly correction and reallocation.

Run memtest86 overnight....

Run the manufacturers tools to test the hard drive.

For the hell of it run prime95 25.5 overnight....

If you get errors from any thing above....post it and we will help further...

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback!

Thank God, the problem was solved late last night - we got an extra VGA, extra RAM and switched out the parts until it ran error free. Turns out it was RAM incompatibility!

Memtest and Prime ran without a problem, but the Kingmax RAM defaulted to 2T and caused this strange error. Once we switched to Infineon RAM the timing was 1T automatically and there were no JPEG errors!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2007 7:04:40 PM

Note to self....Kingmax = bad Infineon = good :)  j/K

Good to hear you got things working....

maybe drop gigabyte a message about it so they know and may correct it with a future bios update....
!