Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 - Hard drive Performance Slow?

Last response: in Storage
April 22, 2008 1:41:15 AM

When I set up my EVGA 780i mb, my primary XP Pro (32 bit) drive is a 80gb raid 0 using 2 x 40gb Seagate barracuda's drives based on the assumption that raid 0 striping would be really quick.

I think i screwed up though because these drives have very small caches of only 2mb (verses my 320gb w/ 16mb). I realize the hd cache size is probably linked to total hd capacity.

At first i thought my P4 cpu was the issue and got a pretty good deal on a q9300. But using Systemometer it's clear the cpu isn't the problem because there are times when my primary drive is maxed out at 100 percent for a few seconds and my apps are sitting around waiting. It affect one of my apps with a slight stutter when i select items in the app.

I've been playing with XP Pro’s systems properties vm and system cache, and even excluded my primary drive and increased the system cache on my larger secondary drive (non-raid) which didn’t seem to make a difference.

I'm think'n I need to exchange these drives with larger caches.
April 22, 2008 8:26:57 AM

nrlanni said:
I think i screwed up though because these drives have very small caches of only 2mb (verses my 320gb w/ 16mb). I realize the hd cache size is probably linked to total hd capacity.

You may need to readjust your expectations. :non:  It seems that RAID 0 doesn't always meet people's expectations. Have you bench-marked the drives? I suggest use something like SiSandra so you can compare your performance against their "standards".

nrlanni said:
I realize the hd cache size is probably linked to total hd capacity.

Nope, linked to how much you pay for the drive. :lol: 

nrlanni said:
because there are times when my primary drive is maxed out at 100 percent for a few seconds and my apps are sitting around waiting. It affect one of my apps with a slight stutter when i select items in the app.

How "full" is your drive and when did you last defrag it? Is the swap file on the primary drive and how big is it?

nrlanni said:
I've been playing with XP Pro’s systems properties vm and system cache, and even excluded my primary drive and increased the system cache on my larger secondary drive (non-raid) which didn’t seem to make a difference.

How much memory does you PC have?

nrlanni said:
I'm think'n I need to exchange these drives with larger caches.

That will never hurt - how old and what interface are the 40s?

UD.
April 22, 2008 8:33:50 AM

RAID 0 does not offer a general performance increase at all. It offers only a major increase in huge writes.

Random I/O which is what 90% of all home user hard drives do for the majority of their life does not benifit at all from a RAID 0.
a b G Storage
April 22, 2008 10:00:28 AM

I went from a single 160GB drive to 2x160GB drives and noticed a pretty big difference in responsiveness with my RAID-0 setup. My friend's PC, similarily spec'd, does not have RAID and I'll admit some things he can keep up with as far as HDD access goes (Windows boot, some game loads, etc). You'll also want to consider the fact that using the RAID controller and adding extra drives will increase the amount of devices being used at boot-up which will increase boot times. My RAID controller adds about 6s on to my boot time to initialize extra devices. But, if you're doing RAID for the sole purpose of making Windows boot faster, you'll be disappointed and have been mislead.
!