BE x2 6400+ worth it?

i was wondering if the amd black edition 6400+ cpu is actually worth the price which is $209. some benches say that it performs a bit better than 6750 c2d ($190) and a bit worse than that 6850 c2d ($280). so do you guys think that it is a good deal? because the price is right in between those two c2ds, and i still thinking if i should upgrade my OLD amd 64 3200+ to the amd 6000+ ($160) or the 6400+ and i also have the cnps9500 zalman cooler for my cpu.
15 answers Last reply
More about 6400 worth
  1. Personally I would save and get the 5600+ ($140 2.8ghz) if you check the cpu charts its almost as good as the 6000+. I wouldn't pay the premium for more than a 6000+.

Also if you have even minor OC abilities you can hit 3 ghz with the 5600+...only bumping the fsb up to 215 from 200. You won't be able to go much higher (if at all) even with the unlocked multi on the black.

Of course if you aren't in a hurry you could wait to see what the Phenoms have to offer in January. I couldn't wait though and just picked up a 5600+ setup last night to replace my p4 3.0 build.

Just my two cents.
  2. The age old answer from my econ class: IT DEPENDS!

I support the underdog, so go buy an AMD chip!

So, IT REALLY DEPENDS:

1) Do you have anything that you can reuse if you build a C2D system? If not, are you willing to shell out the extra cash to buy the necessary parts?

2) Do you want to have the 6400+ for faster multitasking or gaming? If gaming, then consider an investment in a video card instead. If for both, well, its a toss-up, as you can get a cheaper X2 and a GPU.

3) Someone else on the forum will probably say C2D and offer better suggestions.
  3. i am not really thinking about buying a cd2, i am pretty much upgrading everything that i have right now and i use this computer mostly for gaming and i am deciding on processors right now, the other things i am upgrading is 600w ocz ps, 2gb corsair 800mhz ram, 8800gts 320mb, and a gigabyte am2 motherboard. so i am just deciding between the two processors either 6000+ or 6400+.
  4. Wait, so what do you have in your possesion right now?
  5. my old computer, athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig ram, and evga 6800 video card.
  6. Well, then it comes down to loyalty....

The Intel C2D or Quads are the better performers;

but if you want AMD, I say choose what you are willing to spend. I would use THG's CPU charts to give you an idea about performance on games. That will give you a better idea what you will be buying for what CPU.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html
  7. Fry's has that cpu with ecs board for $199 today. Slickdeals also has some crucial 1 gig sticks for $19.99 with google checkout.
  8. so i think i might just get he 6000+
  9. If you are going to keep it for a while. I would personally go with the fastest I could get on the platform, which is the 6400. Is it worth it over the 6000+...I dont know maybe...for most, probably not, but I would justify it because I have seen many 6000+ including my roommates, which just arent stable @ 3.2ghz so the xtra 200mhz down the road may help. IDK it is different from everyone if it were me. I would get it, but if you are hurtin for cash and could use the money to help you get a slightly better vid then the 6000+ is your best choice. IDK...just my two cents. Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball
  10. steven zwickel said:
    Personally I would save and get the 5600+ ($140 2.8ghz) if you check the cpu charts its almost as good as the 6000+. I wouldn't pay the premium for more than a 6000+.

Also if you have even minor OC abilities you can hit 3 ghz with the 5600+...only bumping the fsb up to 215 from 200. You won't be able to go much higher (if at all) even with the unlocked multi on the black.

Of course if you aren't in a hurry you could wait to see what the Phenoms have to offer in January. I couldn't wait though and just picked up a 5600+ setup last night to replace my p4 3.0 build.

Just my two cents.

I agree, my x2 5600 is running @ 3ghz(which is x2 6000 speed)and im confident i could get it up to 2.3ghz if i was a brave soul who wanted to screw with the voltage, fast enough, good enough.
  11. steven zwickel said:
    Personally I would save and get the 5600+ ($140 2.8ghz) if you check the cpu charts its almost as good as the 6000+. I wouldn't pay the premium for more than a 6000+.

Just my two cents.

I agree, my x2 5600 is running @ 3ghz(which is x2 6000 speed)and im confident i could get it up to 3.2ghz if i was a brave soul who wanted to screw with the voltage, fast enough, good enough.
  12. 6400+ still below E6750 performance.
    http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-3115-view-Athlon-64-X2-6400+-review-and-benchmark.html
    And with AM2 discontinued to be replaced by AM2+ and AM3, It's not a promising upgrade. Sure the am2+ cpu can work on the am2 board, but you get NO benefits (HT3 - ddr3). Guess it matters how good a am2+/am3 runs without it's improvements.
  13. personally I'd wait till Phenom comes out.
  14. justinmcg67 said:
    personally I'd wait till Phenom comes out.
    Word!
  15. As an AMD supporter I would have to honestly say that the X2 6400+ is not good value at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD