Sign in with
Your question

Windows won't load on a brand newly built computer

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2007 12:45:02 PM

PC I just built. Brand new, barely any software installed yet. Worked fine for 2 days. I'm browsing with Firefox, just looking for my usual programs to install, and FF quits. Ok, no big deal, I fire it up again, browse for a few minutes and it happens again. Then all of a sudden , I get a flash of a blue screen(too quick to read anything), and it reboots randomly on it's own.

5 minutes later, it happens again. Only this time, I can't even get into Windows. It's at a screen where it asks me if I want to boot in safe mode, last known good config, start windows normally, etc. It also has a countdown that says it will load in 30 secs. Only when it gets to 0, nothing happens.

In addition to all this, my keyboard only was only working on the very first bootup screen (the POST screen?). After that screen, it stops working. No light when I press the num lock button. I can get into the bios no problem, but if I try to go anywhere else, it stops working. I had to go into the BIOS and enable an option to for USB keyboards. I don't know why I had to do this because it was working before.

So after I get the keyboard working, I tried to boot in safe mode but I got this message:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
What does that mean?

Now I just tried powering up again this morning and nothing comes up on the screen this time. I didn't have time to try anything before I left for work. The problem is getting more and more severe.

This has to be a hardware problem, right? Mobo? HD? I've barely installed any programs on it.

Is there any way to figure out what my problem is? Any help is appreciated, I'll try to test it some more tonight when I get home from work.

Oh yea, my specs.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H Motherboard
COOLER MASTER Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
G.Skill (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
FSP Group (Fortron Source) 500W Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro
October 4, 2007 2:00:42 PM

Sorry. The computer was working fine for the first 2 days. Zero problems. That is when I was using firefox. Then all of these problems started happening. The problems seem to be getting worse and worse.

What is the correct voltage for my memory? I can try checking that when I get home.
Edit: Err, I hope I can check it. As I wrote above, I didn't get anything when I tried powering up this morning. Nothing at all on the screen.
October 4, 2007 2:02:54 PM

How are your CPU temps?

When you said it just powered off when you were just browsing with FF, kinda reminds me the thermal trip when the CPU gets too hot.

Might want to go into the bios and let it sit on the health monitor, since the bios does put some kind of load on the CPU.
Related resources
October 4, 2007 2:06:47 PM

I was able to look at the CPU and system temps for a little yesterday. If I remember correctly, the system temp maxed around 42C. The CPU temp was lower. That's not unreasonable, is it?
October 4, 2007 2:12:31 PM

It should be okay, if its lower then system temp of 42C.

Have you tried just running the MB outside the PC case?

That is usually the best spot to be at when TS'ing your system, and you basically rule out other possibilities like grounding issues. :D 
October 4, 2007 2:56:08 PM

Good advice from Grimmy. Also, a bad memory chip could cause this problem, so you may want to try removing one of your DIMM's. Examine both modules very closely for physical damage, and try running your system with one, then the other to see if it stablizes. Make sure your DIMMs are firmly seated.
October 4, 2007 4:04:39 PM

I had a similar problem on a build a few years ago. It turned out to be my mobo freaking out at a low rpm performance cooler I installed. Check through your bios for a setting that kills your computer based on your fan speeds (I think its called Fan Off Control). If this isn't it, I would recommend taking everything out of your computer that it doesn't need to boot. This includes all but one stick of ram, and your GFX card if you have integrated GFX on your MOBO. Than reset your bios, double check the ram timings and voltages. Boot it up and make sure all the fans are spinning. If you successfully boot into windows, add stuff back in one part at a time. If it still isn't stable, try your other stick o' ram. If this doesn't fix your problems, there are a few things that could be happening.

1. Your computer is overheating and your BIOS is trying to protect your hardware
2. You have a BAD power supply.
3. Your MOBO is shorting out (did you use the standoffs when installing your board?)
4. Evil leprechauns have taken up residence in your case, I cant help you there.
!