Question about this 8500GT in context - good deal?

This 8500GT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121094

...is overclocked nicely (to >8600GT speeds), and has GDDR3. For only $80, it appears to compare to stock 8600GTs. I cannot find anything quite like it on the VGA charts. Where would it fit in, and would it be a reasonable buy for general use and lightweight gaming?

Context:
My cousin has a Dull with an 8300something in it. I'm giving him an additional PC, that needs a graphics card. It will be used for general purposes and very light gaming. I want the PC I'm giving him to be at least as good as what he has, which is easy; but anything more I can do would be nice, but I'm trying to be cheap (hey, he's already getting a PC!).

What would you suggest? Is this card reasonable in this context? Thanks.

maswift

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
For about $20-30 more you could get a 8600GT and overclock it to GTS speeds.

I personally wouldn't for anything lower than an 8600GT as far as DX10 goes, since then you might as well buy a 7600GT for a comparable price and better performance.

Hmmm, I'll look closer at all of these. I'm favoring the nVidia a little because the drivers (including any anomalies) will match what he has already. This is an additional PC, not a replacement. His sons will share them, hence one shouldn't utterly destroy the other (that may be hard, up against a mere 8300). I don't know what sort of PSU he already has; the new one can handle a 7900GS (or better). Still, that 2600XT with the free game looks awfully nice. Maybe I'll give him this PC, and an additional video card for the other one. That's a thought...

vegie

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
8600gt has a better make of gpu.... 8500gt sucks overall all, i had one and got it too 642mhz core and 987mhz memory.... still sucked.... so i got a x1950pro.... at least 3 times faster for less than twice the price..