Q6600, help me choose a mobo

sonny88

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Please help me out guys,

I want to build a new pc, build i'm not sure what mobo I have to choose.
It's for gaming and Overclocking.
I will use a Scythe Infinity (mugen) air cooler.

I am looking for a midrange mobo.
I was thinking about a Gigabyte P35 DS4, or P5K Deluxe Wi/Fi.
What is the main difference between N650i, N680i or P35.
Any suggestions?

Specs:
Q6600 g0 stepping 2,4Ghz
OCZ 2048MB 800mhz ddr2 memory (platinum revision 2)
Scythe Infinity
OCZ 600W power supply
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Nvidia 8600GT (till the new 9800 comes out)
320GB S-ATAII WD Caviar

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
N680i supports SLI, P35 supports crossfire (albeit one 16x channel and one 4x channel)

other than that they are pretty much of a muchness

Gigabyte P35 DS4, or P5K Deluxe Wi/Fi are both very good boards, it's just down to what features you want (you could go with a lower P5K if you don't actually need wi/fi etc.)

martinete

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
I suggest buying a P5K deluxe wifi-ap it is really cool. You can overclock your system without entering the bios. Also it is really good for gaming. Asus is a better brand that Gigabyte. I own a p5k deluxe wifi ap and it rocks. Other things that you can do are changing the boot logo with your own pictures, overclock on demand, switch to a lower power consumption levels etc... The bios itself has a jumpfree configuration to overclock your system, the most amazing thing is that it has a crash free bios to avoid the hassle of replacing bios chips in case they fail, this occurs when overclocking.

When the new 9800 comes out, your mobo will not function because remember that they are PCIE 2.0 and the P5K deluxe wifi-ap is PCIE 1.0 Also have in mind that this is a DDR2 mobo, in case you prefer the DDR3 go with the P5K3.

If you would like to buy a 9800, buy a X38 mobo.

SUPERMARTINETE :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Either board you're looking at would be fine, as others said it just depends on what features you'd like on your mobo.

As for the video card issue... I'd really recommend getting the 8800gts 320 as a minimum right now, even if you are planning to get the 9800, if you get EVGA brand you can "step-up" and only have to pay the difference in cost... it seems viable to me, and that way if the 9800 comes out PCI-e 2.0 and doesn't work on your mobo, you're not stuck with a 8600GT...

Hope that helps, good luck with your build.

sonny88

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
oke nice tips, but i really really want to use the 9800 when it comes out. 8600gt would be fine for now. what if we don't bother about a price, (not to crazy lol). what would you guys suggest for a more future proof mobo, for use with nvidia's 9800. ddr3 is not really necessary. Because I'd rather safe some more money and wait a little longer, and buy something good.

and.. I have another question haha.
Is there a good budget watercooling system to replace the infinity?
Or do I have to pay much more to get some improvement.

thnx guys

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I honestly wouldn't worry about water cooling... but that's just me. (Too paranoid + the scythe is a good cooler)

As for using the 9800 I really don't know what to tell you because there aren't really any solid facts out about it... at least not last time I checked.

Good luck either way, sorry I couldn't be more helpful ^_^