x8 vs. x16 interface?

cannoli

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I have a motherboard based on the nVidia 405 chipset which has integrated 6100 video. The board has an x16 slot but due to limitations of the chipset, the slot only operates at x8. I want to put a faster video card in the PC, how much of a performance hit will I see with the x8 vs. x16? I was considering going with something like the nVidia 8600GS.

You won't see much of a hit with that card ( You mean either the 8600GTS or 8600GT). The current high-ends are just now taking advantage of more than 8x (correct me if I'm wrong, it's happened before).

cannoli

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Yes, you're right, the 8600GT, not the GS. I thought I had read the same someplace, that most mid range or previous high end cards were using bandwidth that was more on par with x8 and not x16.

No not usually wrong but the first to admit it when you are wish there were more like you out there. :)
Its nice to give the op the extra opinion i think, I know it would help put my mind at ease to have several replys saying Yep and I agree rather than only having one bother to reply.
Mactronix

cannoli

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks everyone for your input, I'll order the card this week. Oddly enough the chipset does not support my ATI x600 which I was going to use as a hold over. MSI documents as such on their website.

Thanks again.