Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone have ASUS drivers for a SATA drive?

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2008 1:02:14 PM

Hi all. I've been struggling for some time with installing WinXP to a SATA drive.
Very quickly the XP setup will format the drive and copy over the files for the continuation of setup, then the PC reboots and I get the message "Cannot load operating system". I also tried an nLite config and included all the drivers I could lay my hands on with the same result.

I think I need the drivers for the F6 thing when Setup is running. I have NO IDEA what these are or anything, so can anyone help me with this please?

Motherboard is ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe.
April 23, 2008 1:47:08 PM

Thanks - I've been to that page before, but SATA doesn't appear in the list and I don't know what I'm looking for. Sorry!

What do I need?
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 23, 2008 1:47:13 PM

If you hook up your hard disk to the non-RAID controller you will not need any drivers.
April 23, 2008 1:49:16 PM

Thats not the case. The RAID sockets are clearly marked, and it isn't plugged into those. It is plugged into the 'standard' SATA no1. socket.
a b G Storage
April 23, 2008 1:50:18 PM

Also, have you checked boot order in BIOS?
April 23, 2008 1:54:21 PM

Yep - been through ALL of this as you can imagine.

Let me try to sum it up;
SATA drive plugged into SATA socket (NON-RAID).
RAID controller is disabled in BIOS.
There doesn't seem to be an option to run SATA in IDE mode (this has been suggested before).
Thats about it really.
If I boot my system from an IDE drive into WinXP (SP2 of course), then the drive works fine as a secondary/slave whatever, so the drive itself is fine. Its just something not working when it tries to boot from it.

I think I just need the drivers for the F6 bootup but I have not been able to find what I need and nobody has been able to point me at them.

It should not be this difficult :/ 
April 23, 2008 1:55:54 PM

Also check to make sure if you have AHCI enabled or not. If its set to enabled then you will need a driver, but if its disabled you shouldn't need one.

You would have most likely got a better answer if you would have posted which motherboard your working with. What I mean is someone with the same board might have been able to tell you just what settings needed to be made.
April 23, 2008 2:04:02 PM

I'll check about AHCI but I don't recall seeing any mention in the BIOS.

The motherboard in question is at the bottom of my first post - ie. an ASUS A8N-SLi.
April 23, 2008 2:27:20 PM

Lol i had the exact same problem. I finally went to MSI and found a similar motherboard and noticed the drivers were called something different. I downloaded them anyway and they ran like tiny miracles.
April 23, 2008 2:33:14 PM

Do you know exactly what ASUS drivers I need? Or did you bin it in favour of MSI?
Anonymous
April 23, 2008 2:46:43 PM

Silicon Image 3114 SATA RAID driver V1.1.9.9 for Windows XP(WHQL)/2K/2003
or the...
Silicon Image Serial ATA Raid V1.1.0.0 plus RAID5 GUI V1.0.0.1 for Windows XP(WHQL)/2K/2003

these are drivers under IDE and RAID downloads for your board.
a b G Storage
April 23, 2008 2:53:37 PM

Disconnect all drives except foer the one you want to install Windows on.
Try then.
Do you have the latest bios?
April 23, 2008 2:56:05 PM

I had the A8V Deluxe and had similar problems. I'm working from memory but remember that you do need to use the SATA RAID driver set even though you're not using RAID, pretty sure the SATA driver is in there. If you haven't done so, you should also take a close look at the manual. The instructions are in there but they are difficult to drag out - you need to read the sections on applicability very close to determine the drivers you need for your application. I went through the same thing myself and you DO need the SATA driver.
a b G Storage
April 23, 2008 3:14:35 PM

Try using a different SATA port.
Is there a jumper on the SATA drive?
April 23, 2008 3:34:35 PM

piratepast40 said:
I had the A8V Deluxe and had similar problems. I'm working from memory but remember that you do need to use the SATA RAID driver set even though you're not using RAID, pretty sure the SATA driver is in there. If you haven't done so, you should also take a close look at the manual. The instructions are in there but they are difficult to drag out - you need to read the sections on applicability very close to determine the drivers you need for your application. I went through the same thing myself and you DO need the SATA driver.

I certainly agree here, the terminology used is rather confusing and it's not easy to determine what set of drivers to pick from the suggested list. I had the same problem with my A8N-E.
a b G Storage
April 23, 2008 3:38:05 PM

From my old A7N8x experience, if you needed drivers for Windows, you wouldn't even be able to see the drive when choosing the one to install XP to. Do you have any PATA HD connected when the system reboots? If the PATA drives have precedence over the SATA's, then, when you reboot, the system might try to load something from the PATA drives, find something invalid, block there and not even look at the SATA controller. If in that situation, just unplug the PATA drives when installing XP and try plugging them back when completely installed.
April 23, 2008 3:38:17 PM

> Disconnect all drives except foer the one you want to install Windows on.
Try then.

Done that already (except the CD drive of course).

> Do you have the latest bios?

Yes.

> Try using a different SATA port.

Tried that too.

> Is there a jumper on the SATA drive?

No jumpers on the drive.

I'll take a look at those drivers posted above - I take it they are the ones to copy to FDD and use F6 when setup asks?

April 23, 2008 3:45:18 PM

I believe they will contain the txtsetup file and dlls for that in there (probably in some crazy acronym named directory) but they should work. OF course if you are like me you are scratching your head as to why one can ONLY USE A FLOPPY TO INSTALL SATA DRIVERS WHEN A USB KEY WOULD BE GRABBING THE 20TH CENTURY BY THE THROAT AND SAYING "I AM READY FOR YOU BUDDY!"

Of course then microsoft would be considered cutting edge, and that goes against there liberterian agenda.
April 23, 2008 3:50:52 PM

^ - yes, those are the ones you load on the floppy for when the windows install asks for 3rd part RAID or SATA drivers. If I recall, the unzipped driver set contains several files. You'll then see that one set is for RAID/SATA and the other is for just SATA.

Now - to further complicate things, I remember that mine were for a VIA controller and you're mobo has a SI chipset. Hope they're the same setup. As others have said, be sure to disconnect the other drive when doing this setup. Also look closely at any bios settings and make sure they are correct. I rememeber being very frustrated when doing this but when the light bulb finally came on, it worked fine.
April 23, 2008 5:14:44 PM

Thanks - I've got the drivers downloaded (they'll unzip into directories called "nForce3_4" and also "nForce3_4\pataraid"

All I have to do now is find a floppy drive ... the fiancee has one in her machine so I'll swipe it while she's not looking :) 

This is a screenshot of the ZIP file floppy drive contents (click for a full size version).
April 23, 2008 5:30:22 PM

SATA drives are hot swapable, they are plug and play you should not need drivers for a SATA drive non raid. Are you sure the BIOS setting are correct?
April 23, 2008 7:18:24 PM

Think you've missed the point - the system won't *boot* from the SATA drive.

If you think the BIOS settings are not right, let me know what to look for and I'll post back the results.
April 23, 2008 8:49:45 PM

maximiza said:
SATA drives are hot swapable, they are plug and play you should not need drivers for a SATA drive non raid. Are you sure the BIOS setting are correct?

I just saw an old post (2006) on another forum where someone said that about 60% of the people with this era of boards had the problem while the rest didn't. Those that didn't have the problem are wondering what's wrong with the rest of us. I have no idea why some had absolutely no problems with the SATA drivers. Is it possible that the version (RTM, SP1, or SP2) of XP had something to do with this? After all, XP is supposed to have native SATA drivers but I don't know what service pack this started with. All I know is that many people (including myself) had this problem.

Horrgakx, have you got a copy of the mobo manual? It should help if you have it in front of you.

Good luck when you finally try it. let us know how it goes (or post a picture of the computer with a bullet hole in it!)

May 25, 2008 12:45:45 PM

Im trying to pass this around as quickly as i can. There are several problems with the drivers not being the same across mobo manufacturers. I had problems getting vista to be stable and when i did get it installed it would show up at a max read and write rate of 4-10 megs a second on a stripping raid. I just downloaded drivers directly from amds website after taking a while to find them. Im getting my read rates up to around 150 megs a second and the system is stable as hell.

In regards to your mobo issue not having your sata drives appear you should find something regarding storage configuration in which you can set sata to native ide mode. See if this is available and if you cannot find it purhapse you may need a bios update or its somewhere else in your bios but regardless i have yet to see a bios with sata that doesnt have an option to switch modes. Find this option. Find the 32 or 64 bit raid disk drivers and put them on a floppy and use the f6 option in windows to load them if you cannot get it to load post again
December 31, 2008 12:56:16 PM

I have the asus AV8n -SLI Deluxe mobo and just bought a 500GB WD HDD. I have no "A" drive, and my mobo dll's were ones I downloaded to dvd as I had no oem disk. I put my XP cd in and of course it wouldnt detect the hd during setup , I pressed "f6" to try and put the files from disk on, but it said use floppy...lol. So after reading these posts and others, I tried to find a better solution than ripping a floppy out of an old pc and installing it etc. Re-copy drivers etc. So I went into bios set-up once again. I saw one post said set your o/s to non pnp, which mine was, so I changed it to pnp os. I re-ran setup and the disk is slowly formatting 500gb as I type. I have the sata cable plugged into sata1. I had 2 ide drives in there as well, but I removed them after first attempt. I think they will need formatting again now too as I tried to run set-up with them as slaves the first time. My bad. Anyway I hope this works OK and if I was any help to anyone else ....great!

Critterator
!