new system questions - watts, cpu, gpu, sound

j1dopeman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I'm building a new system, and I have a few questions. Here is what I'm leaning towards:

cpu - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
gpu - 8800gts 640mb
motherboard - MSI P6N SLI Platinum
memory - PDC22G6400LLK
hdd - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS
optical - Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA
case - Raidmax Smilodon
power supply - ?

Now, I basically mismatched stuff from the mid-cost and low-cost, taking most from the mid. I do want to keep a low price though. This pc will be used for gaming, developing, some media (but not creating), and other everyday stuff.

I know that games don't benefit much by a quad core now, but I wonder if they might start to soon. Also, if I'm coding I think it might be nice to have a few cores. I don't plan on overclocking, so I'm just going to use the cooler it comes with. What do you think, good idea?

As for the gpu, I see that the 8800gts 320mb version is at about $280, the 640mb one I can get for $370, and the gtx is at $500. The gtx is pricey, and I don't think I want to spend that much money on it. The 640mb I think is more reasonable. I have a 21" lcd that runs at 1680x1050. I would like to play games at that resolution. Do you think this is reasonable?

The power supply is where I'm really stuck. I don't want to spend a lot, and I'm not sure how big I need it. I like the Fortron Source AX450-PN, and it's only $60, which is good. I'm not sure if 450w is enough though, I might add another hdd in the future, but thats about it. The mid cost system recommends the AeroCool Zerodba 620W, but I don't think I need that much power. It's also $125 dollars, which is double the other one. Do you think the Fortron would be enough, or do I need to get more watts? Also, if I need more, about how much more, and are there any supplies you would recommend?

For the sound, I'm thinking of just using onboard. I was looking at the X-fi, but it annoys me that they don't have digital connections on the card. It looks like people really have to go through hoops to get it connected. I'm going to use some 5.1 speakers I already have, logitech's z-5500's, and they have optical and coax input. The motherboard I'm looking at has Realtek ALC888 HD Audio and optical connections right on it. Is this good enough, or would you recommend getting a soundcard?

If you see any other problems with this build, things I'm forgetting, or ways to improve it without adding much cost, let me know.

Thanks,
John

Mondoman

Splendid
For the PS, watts don't matter anymore, what matters is +12V current. At a minimum, you want a PS with at least 20A on each of +12V1 and +12V2, with at least 36A for +12V1 and +12V2 combined. Better to get a PS with 18-20A on each of 3 or more +12V rails.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Like the CPU stick with it

8800gts is a great card, however the 640mb version is not worth the jump. They have memory issues and generaly have little performance increase over there 320mb counterparts. eVGA BFG and XfX are the companies to buy this bad boy off.

Why are you getting an SLI mobo? are you thinking about it in the future? Im not a big fan of SLI as more often then not 1 highend card will do better than 2 mid-high in SLI. If you dont want SLI get a P35 chipset board Asus, Gigabyte or Abit. If you want SLI get 680i chipset from Giga or Asus (but i wouldnt get SLI)

I dont know what that memory is im assume some type of 2x2gb 6400 config by the product code. 4gb of RAM if you are running Vista 64bit anything else get 2gb. Get some good CAS timing RAM at 667 or 800mhz. Crucial, Corsair Patriot.

If you dont plan to OC as you say then the stock cooler is fine, too make it a little cooler and quieter at not much more cost id suggest an Artic Freezer Pro7.

DONT SKIMP ON PSU... CRITICAL DONT DO IT... this is one of the most important components in the rig and should not be blown aside. for a GTS or GTX you need something with good strong 12v rails with good AMPS. Watts is not a big teller anymore. Look at Corsair 520W or Antec Trio range. Thermaltake also make strong psu's at slightly cheaper cost.

X-fi Fatal1ty with the front IO comes with digital coax and optical out, however, these run out the front of the case (can get in the road). Just out is the Auzentech Prelude which comes with kool adapters for rear IO that can do digital coax or optical in and out, good feature although these cards are expensive atm. IMO if you are not a huge audiophile go with the onboard for now and make sure it comes with optical out on read IO.

In short... Save money on the 8800gts 320mb and invest in better PSU

j1dopeman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
The fortran has 36A total on both 12v rails, and is rated at 18A on each. So I think that's good enough. I thought watts were important though.

As for the gpu, I wanted the extra memory because I'd like to use somewhat high resolution (1680x1050). I plan on using this for upcoming games like crysis and unreal tournament 3. I read that some of the newer games will need a lot of texture memory too. I haven't heard of any memory issues, do you know what exactly?

I'm getting 2gb of ram for now, as I still plan to run xp. I don't want to be stuck with vista just yet, because there are still plenty of bugs. I have my xp license, so I might as well use it. Although I do have a copy of vista business that I got for free, I wonder how crippled it is for media and games, or rather it's not focused on media and games. The ram is 2x1gb Patriot DDR2 800 (PC2 6400).