If DDR2-1066 memory appears as DDR2-800 then I do ...?

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hello --

Thanks for reading.

I have on the way to my doorstep at this moment the abit IP 35 Pro,
and 2 x 1GB of Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 RAM (DDR2-1066).
In case it is a useful link, the RAM is here: http://tinyurl.com/36jguv

As I read the reviews on NewEgg for the motherboard, I see that many folks inserting DDR2-1066 RAM into their IP 35 are finding that the motherboard initially engages it at DDR2-800 speeds instead. Then some manual configuration is required in the BIOS.

Of course I would like to immediately make such changes if I find they are indeed required. (A MemTest v1.70 bootable CD should tell me straight away what I am running out.)

If I find this to be the case, I assume and figure that it is a rather quick and easy change -- as opposed to changing a bunch of items in the BIOS.

Can someone please tell me the "quick and dirty" on the settings in the BIOS that I would adjust right away to achieve proper DDR2-1066 speed? This response can be as simple as "look for this menu", "that sub-menu", and then select "blah". I suspect it is very consistent across motherboards, and versions of BIOS, the "title" of the variables I should change.

Thanks !!!

In the bios, go to the uguru utility 1.01. Change the memory voltage from 1.8 to 2.1. Abit's memory compatability page lists the voltage as 2.3, but that seems high to me. I would try 2.1 first. In the 2.1 uguru utility (2.1.1 oc guru), you can manually set the memory speed to 1066 if it's not autodetecting at the correct speed.

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Do you plan on overclocking? if not then the bios should be able to set the RAM at 1066 if you change the ram settings to that speed, otherwise you will have to manually change the FSB:DRAM ratio to get 1066. you'll generally find it in advanced sections or things like that, im tired and going to bed, dont expect more help from me

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're getting bad info from the "other folks" as its not an IP35 problem, its that the memory isn't "really" DDR2-1066 because the DDR2-1066 "standard" doesn't exist. All DDR2-1066 configures as DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 on all boards.

But the advice you've found here is correct, simply increase the voltage and memory speed in BIOS, that's only two settings that should get you where you want to be.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
err i mrunning 1066 ram and its going at 800 speed. I thought this was better (my cpu is at 400 x8) so the ram and cpu match. Is this better than putting the ram up to 1066? Or am i thinking of something else?

Scaj

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I find that alot of Corsair memory sticks have the same problem of failing to be detected at the correct frequency. So what are they doing? Mislabeling the RAM and essentially oc'ing every stick you purchase? That would explain why mine failed after 2-3 months of use. No other manufacturer of RAM that I have used has been detected at a slower frequency than specified.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OCZ does worse, I've gotten OCZ "800" that was detected at "667" but was actually "533". A bunch of boards had boot issues, because it wouldn't run right at 1.80V.

Really, all standard DDR2 DIMM's have to run 1.80V. Anything that's not 1.80V is overclocked. That includes all performance modules.

Overclocked RAM has to be clocked down to boot at 1.80V, because 1.80V is the voltage standard.