starsfan09

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Hello guys. I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I have a 500gb WD Essential formatted to FAT32. Only want to keep Mp3's on this HD for a backup.

Wanting to copy a folder (w/t subfolders) that's on another HD over to the 500gb drive.

Size of the folder and subfolders I'm trying to copy over to it is...
73.6GB (79,034,134,196 bytes)
12,086 files, 11 folders

The problem I'm having is this. As I'm trying to copy this huge folder over....I get an error message saying ..."Directory or File cannot be created". It then stops, and I can't copy anymore Mp3's to that folder what-so-ever. The files are only Mp3 files. None of them are bigger than 20mb. Is there a limitation of clusters or bytes that can actually go into a FOLDER that's on a FAT32 formatted HD?

I don't see why I can't move up to say...100GB of Mp3's to a single folder that's created on a HD that been formatted to FAT32. :p

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I could be wrong but I believe the problem is with limitations of the FAT32 file system itself.I would welcome a good technical explanation myself.

ocfun

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I've had this problem before and it's not a fat32 issue. There may be small errors in your file system. Sometimes these get introduced by lots of strange characters and long file names that come especially from mp3's from unknown sources etc. Don't ask me why, but if I download a lot of files with strange characters in them, lots of weird things happen when I try to do a copy later on.

What I would try is to reboot and run chkdsk /f . Or run it from your windows CD from repair console. If there is anything wrong, it may help. It doesn't' run exactly the same as scan disk, so there s a difference.

Another thing you can do is try to isolate the folder where it stops copying. Then weed out the file(s) that are causing the problem. Or try renaming them. Then move that folder to a removable drive. Then copy it back and see if that fixes the problem. good luck.