good psu under 35$

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hellow all
im planning to get geforce 8600gt or radeon hd 2600pro (both 256mb ram) and i need to change my psu
for 35$ is there good and long lasting psu for these cards??

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Good luck. The PSU is not where I'd "cheap out". It's performance affects every other component in the system. It's like building an expensive house on top of a crappy foundation. It might look good, but it won't last.

Stick with a top-tier supplier, period. Or, you can come back here later and post something like "Did my PSU fry my video card?" or "System crashes when playing high-end games".

Altazi

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
People should start to realise that the power supply is the most important part of your build. NO power = NO play. Cheaping out on a PSU will only give you instability issues (under voltage/amps), cheapies use 2nd rate parts more chance of failure which can result in not only PSU = dead both can cause dead mobo, gpu , ram. The cheap PSU's arent worth the risk even for a low end build.

You dont have to look at 1000W PSU's just look for a solid 400-500W that doesnt sell for 35 bux at your local bargin bin

On black friday the last few years, I've found some bargains at Fry's. Coolergiant mid tower with 350w enermax ps for $14 after rebate; Fry's.com sold me an antec sonata II case with 450w ps for $35 shipped after $50 rebate, which I just received in the mail a few days ago. And a sharp 25 inch remote color tv for $70 and no rebate. Next black friday is only 6-7 weeks away, so I would wait if possible. Newegg and compusa offer rebates, but Fry's is your best bet. I've received all the rebates sent in for purchases there.

shawn26il

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
If you have to go cheap, you may not find it for 35, but maybe check out an ultra v series 500 watt. I just bought the 400 watt version for 32.90 off ebay, brand new. regular 50.00 on tigerdirect.com, seems like a stable supply, very heavy good looking, lots of connections. I ran an ultra for 2-3 years before until my mobo went bad and possibly took my psu with it:(, but got another one on order:)

G

^^^

Probably your PSU went bad and took your mobo with it.

And to the OP, if you spend $35 on a PSU, you deserve to have your computer fry. Don't go cheap, buy a quality PSU from a quality manufacturer.

shawn26il

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Could be but the PSU still works. Would still power the machine and all, just no drives showed up. I'd read about others having similar issues as well. So who knows. But I'm still not trusting anything except maybe an old junk system to that PSU. But I'd NEVER had any probs with it until that point. Oh well, I guess it happens like that sometimes. But the company is being real good about it and is letting me exchange the mobo for a better one, and I got a good deal on the ultra.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hey, um, I got an IDEA.

Buy a good Seasonic, and keep it LONGER, and when you make new systems, you REUSE the Seasonic.

So, you save in the long run even more! And you won't burn down your house with crappy electronic goods made in some back alley somewhere that aren't worth the 35$

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Please read a bit about psu's and video card needs. To say "I need a cheap" psu is like saying, "I need a cheap surgeon to do my brain surgery." :) Seriously though, a modern video card at full power can pull almost 300 watts by itself. So, anyone today planning to purchase a psu should go for a pretty big one. How big? It depends on your needs, but the total watts is not the biggest criteria for you to consider.

The most import specification for the psu that you want to consider is NOT how "big" it is, nor the amount of "watts", but the MOST important is the "amps" on the 12V rail. That is what your video card will be running on. Both Nvidia and ATI list the specific amp rating recommended for each of their cards. Basically to meet their spec you will probably need to spend over $50.00

You could get a high watt psu that had low specs for amps on the 12V rail. Then you can also get a lower watt psu that has a high spec for amps on the 12V rail. The latter of those 2 is MUCH better.

A BIG problem with psu's is that they are self certified. That means each company gets to state what they think sounds best about their psu. So, you are really taking the companies word for it. Fortunately there are various reviews of psu's on the net where you can find which companies are more honest than others.

So, read, read read before you buy. Here's one link to get ya started...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/atx-psu5.html

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
"good" and "cheap" do not mix well when it comes to PSU's.

most of the times i've went with a psu for under 40 bucks i've seriously regretted it.

bliq

Distinguished
I've found that it's possible to find a decent power supply for less than $35 as long as you're willing to play the rebate game. I was able to get a decent 500W thermaltake to power my X1900XT reliably for 2 years for $29 after a $30 rebate. Barring that, I don't believe it's possible to get a new PSU of quality for that price.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
FSP, that Rosewill is junk.

That Cooler Master is junk.

Where did you hear that? No way. Linkage?

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
I don't mean to steer people away from toms forums, but there is alot of good info at the site below.

Go here:
http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

A lot of good info on PSU's. and none of the recommended ones are $35 (or less) because the old adage is true: You get what you pay for.

I am going to purchase a new PSU at some point because my 3 year old TT purepower 420W is starting to fall out of spec. The 12v rail 2% off (probably within spec), but my 5v and 3.3V rails are off by 5%. Also, the fact that my PSU only has 18A on the 12V rail is one reason why I am looking.

I have yet to decide on a PSU, and I have been researching for at least a month. I am leaning towards a PC Power & cooling.

Like the others said, do your research.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

He mentioned something about an HD 2600XT, which consumes a whopping 45W of power.