Can't get same overclock after adding 2GB of RAM and flashing new BIOS

mr_sack

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I am having trouble overclocking my Intel e6400 to what I had it at before after installing 2GB more of RAM and flashing to a newer BIOS. Before when I just had 2GB of RAM I overclocked my CPU to 3.1 GHz (stock is 2.13 GHz) and had run it at that speed for an entire year.

I got 2 more sticks of RAM for xmas and had trouble getting them recognized, so after some research I upgraded my BIOS from 0601 to 1704. I also installed some hotfix for having more than 3GB of RAM in Vista. Once the new bios was flashed and I enabled "memory remapping" my RAM worked. I figured I would just plug in the same settings as before and my OC would be fine, but I get "overclocking failed" and other errors when I go much above 2.6 GHz. [strike]I have also had to raise my vcore higher than before to get it to overclock to a slower clock speed. [/strike] (Ignore the vcore part, I think that was all due to the RAM timings) Manually setting my memory timings also doesn't seem to work now, I'll get some weird start up error or get errors in prime95 if I don't leave it on auto.

Any idea what would cause such a thing? At this point, my only next guess would be to pull out the extra RAM and see if I can achieve the same overclock without them. I also overlooked the "memory remapping" option in my original BIOS version, so there is a slim chance I might have been able to get the memory working without changing the bios earlier. Should I try reverting to the old BIOS? Thanks!

my computer specs:
eVGA 8800GTX
Intel Core 2 duo E6400 (2.13GHz)
G.skill 4GB 800 RAM (red)
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS
Asus P5B-E Motherboard
Seasonic S12 600W supply
Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3320620AS
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 70SB073A00000

andromeda

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Try and loosen your ram timings when you add more ram to a system it becomes harder to overclock the system as a whole. then see if your can increase your overclock. And make sure that your se to 1t on the timing when you added the extra ram that may have set it off aswell.