CPR hangs during XP setup

July 11, 2005 7:46:04 PM

July 11-05

I need help!

I am having problems loading windows XP OS on my CPR. I am replacing my old
40 GB Hard drive with a new Seagate 250 GB hard drive. I used the Seagate
disk wizard to boot, format and partition the drive. I have used Windows 98
SE start up boot disk to format and partition the drive.

There were no improvements any time I booted from the CDROM drive.

Win XP Home OS stops responding when it gets to the screen “Setup is
starting Windows�. The CPR freezes at this time.
When I reboot my CPR and look at the files on the Hard drive, Windows has
not added any files to the HD.

I listed the major components on my CPR.

Total Physical Memory --------------- 511MB
Processor --- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2
AuthenticAMD (1668MHz)

BIOS Version ------------------------ KT400 - 42302e31

Display adapters: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Hard drive information:
Volume Layout Type File System Status
Capacity

DSK1_VOL1 (D:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (Active)
128.00 GB
Work-Feb 13 2004 (C:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System)
37.27 GB

More about : cpr hangs setup

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:52:34 PM

Do not use third party software to partition and format drives if you plan
to install XP. Instead just boot off the XP CD and do your partitioning and
formatting with it. So try deleting all the partitions the XP CD finds and
then create new partitions and format. If your version of Windows XP is a
first edition then due to a size limitation it will not be able to partition
and format drives larger than 137 GB. Create a slipstream version using the
instructions here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

However if the XP CD says it has SP1 or SP2 integrated then you can use it
to partition and your 250GB.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"fort lauderdale" <fortlauderdale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:EAF3F1BC-4F90-492C-A6F1-0913F64EE50E@microsoft.com...
> July 11-05
>
> I need help!
>
> I am having problems loading windows XP OS on my CPR. I am replacing my
old
> 40 GB Hard drive with a new Seagate 250 GB hard drive. I used the Seagate
> disk wizard to boot, format and partition the drive. I have used Windows
98
> SE start up boot disk to format and partition the drive.
>
> There were no improvements any time I booted from the CDROM drive.
>
> Win XP Home OS stops responding when it gets to the screen "Setup is
> starting Windows". The CPR freezes at this time.
> When I reboot my CPR and look at the files on the Hard drive, Windows has
> not added any files to the HD.
>
> I listed the major components on my CPR.
>
> Total Physical Memory --------------- 511MB
> Processor --- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2
> AuthenticAMD (1668MHz)
>
> BIOS Version ------------------------ KT400 - 42302e31
>
> Display adapters: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
>
> Hard drive information:
> Volume Layout Type File System Status
> Capacity
>
> DSK1_VOL1 (D:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (Active)
> 128.00 GB
> Work-Feb 13 2004 (C:)  Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System)
> 37.27 GB

July 13, 2005 12:35:35 AM

"" wrote:
> Do not use third party software to partition and format drives
> if you plan
> to install XP. Instead just boot off the XP CD and do your
> partitioning and
> formatting with it. So try deleting all the partitions the XP
> CD finds and
> then create new partitions and format. If your version of
> Windows XP is a
> first edition then due to a size limitation it will not be
> able to partition
> and format drives larger than 137 GB. Create a slipstream
> version using the
> instructions here
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> However if the XP CD says it has SP1 or SP2 integrated then
> you can use it
> to partition and your 250GB.
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "fort lauderdale" <fortlauderdale@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in
> message
> > July 11-05
> >
> > I need help!
> >
> > I am having problems loading windows XP OS on my CPR. I am
> replacing my
> old
> > 40 GB Hard drive with a new Seagate 250 GB hard drive. I
> used the Seagate
> > disk wizard to boot, format and partition the drive. I have
> used Windows
> 98
> > SE start up boot disk to format and partition the drive.
> >
> > There were no improvements any time I booted from the CDROM
> drive.
> >
> > Win XP Home OS stops responding when it gets to the screen
> "Setup is
> > starting Windows". The CPR freezes at this time.
> > When I reboot my CPR and look at the files on the Hard
> drive, Windows has
> > not added any files to the HD.
> >
> > I listed the major components on my CPR.
> >
> > Total Physical Memory --------------- 511MB
> > Processor --- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+x86 Family 6 Model 6
> Stepping 2
> > AuthenticAMD (1668MHz)
> >
> > BIOS Version ------------------------ KT400 - 42302e31
> >
> > Display adapters: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
> >
> > Hard drive information:
> > Volume Layout Type File System
> Status
> > Capacity
> >
> > DSK1_VOL1 (D:)  Partition Basic NTFS
> Healthy (Active)
> > 128.00 GB
> > Work-Feb 13 2004 (C:)  Partition Basic NTFS
> Healthy (System)
> > 37.27 GB

you may also be interested to know that the reason it apears that xp
has copied no files is becasue it stors the files for the setup
proccess in the unpartioned section as a RAW FS, which could posably
why your computer crashes when it’s copying set up files, what you
must to is use fdisk to delete the partion you created, and then do
the xp setup again.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-CPR-hangs-XP-setup-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1301436
!