Sign in with
Your question

CAN a BETTER MOTHERBOARD INCREASE YOUR VIDEO CARD?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 12, 2007 5:00:50 AM

Hi Again,

Ok I finally prove it to myself that I'm not getting the performance I should be on my new GTX 8800. I posted before saying that My GTX doesn't show much improvement to my older 6800 GT. I was Excepting the fact that the CARD doesn't perform great in 3D applications such as MAya, 3d studio max etc. But I just proved it tonight that there is something very wrong here. I Have 2 computers. a Pent 4/ gt 6800 card and a new QUAD CORE/ gtx 8800. Both pcs have the same programs running and have the same settings on the applications. I created a Character in POSER and then rigged it in MOTIONBUILDER. When I started to ORBIT around the scene, the camera was a little SLUGGISH. I then took the file and opened it up in my Older pc (Pent 4 /6800 gt) and I was WIZZING around the scene at 90 miles an hour!!!! HOW CAN THAT BE????

QUESTION: If I by a Motherboard with an NVIDIA CHIPSET (680i) instead of the INTEL, would that help the VIDEOCARD? My Motherboard is.. ASUS P5K

Thanks,
Lou
October 12, 2007 5:07:40 AM

No help... there maybe a slight change but nothing to write home about.

Update BIOS
Update Drivers
Confirm BIOS settings (correct speed cpu, ram etc.)
Get GPU-z and make sure the 8800gtx is running to spec.
Try Benchmark with 3dmark05/06 and compare to others results.
October 12, 2007 5:27:09 AM

Hi,
I did use 3Dmark06. The tests results were 11,045. It said that out of 16 computers with the same set up (cpu, memory,etc) I came in last. But out of ALL pcs which were like..273,000 pcs, I rank in the top 93 % higher. So that means When they tested me again people with Pent 2, pent 3, pent 4, Dual cores, etc.. I ranked High, ...Big deal...

That proves I'm not getting the performance I should...Hmm?? Bios upgrade?
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
October 12, 2007 5:30:30 AM

There will even be differences between mobo manufacturers using the same chipset. The sub-systems of a mobo can affect overall performance.

You should look for motherboard shootout reviews that compares several motherboards using the same chipset to determine which one gives you the best performance. From what I recall GPU performance is usually about +/- 4% difference at most.

Even video cards using the same GPU, clocked at the same speed can give slightly different benchmarks as well.
October 12, 2007 8:28:53 AM

Hi,

Since upgrading your m/b & CPU, have you done a fresh install of everything on your hard disk? I've always found that doing that fresh install ensures that everything is working properly. Otherwise you can get driver conflicts,

Cheers
October 12, 2007 8:33:41 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I did use 3Dmark06. The tests results were 11,045. It said that out of 16 computers with the same set up (cpu, memory,etc) I came in last. But out of ALL pcs which were like..273,000 pcs, I rank in the top 93 % higher. So that means When they tested me again people with Pent 2, pent 3, pent 4, Dual cores, etc.. I ranked High, ...Big deal...

They arent bad results for what you have in anyway. Id think that the 16 that had the "same" setup may have slight differences that 3dmark may not take not of. eg, RAM speed and latency, CPU clock speed (most with a Q6600 these days are OCing them), GPU clock (factory OCed GPU's are common). In any case the issue seems to be software related rather than hardware. Im not really familiar with the rendering programs you are using but are they old versions? have you checked there sites to see/ask if there are known issues with certainn platforms? Just a few things to try
October 12, 2007 8:44:28 PM

11,045 for a GTX is quite low, especially if you are using a quad core.

Make sure you're not using AA or anything in futuremark, can you give a link to yours please?

Aside from that you could try new drivers.

But no an nvidia chipset wont magically make your card work better and if it does itll be around 1%.
October 12, 2007 9:52:31 PM

If your motherboard is REALLY bad it might help you to get a new one but it is unlikely to do all that much if your gpu is not pulling it's weight. Though i would believe that if you are using an intel chipset you WILL see an improvement in your performance. however fir maya and 3dsmax you wot really ever get a gaming card to run that well cause they are just not made for it, if you bought an asus you usually get something that will work well in 3ds max but other manufacturers sometimes leave out some components. Like a buddy of mine had the same card as one of his firends but if you looked at the asus it has a chip where the other did not.
!