4-pin ATX 12v cable burned/fell apart in slot??

snoopy3525

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
My computer's been acting weird past couple days, this morning not starting up at all. At first the motherboard voiced to me and said it was a "CPU Failure" as you may have read in my previous post. But the CPU ended up being fine.

Turns out, I couldn't really pull out that 4-pin plug without really really pulling hard. So finally after getting it out, I noticed half of it was still left in there (two of the black pieces that shield the metal connector parts). At this point I don't know how i'd get the rest out. I assume it was burned, and stuck inside somehow.

So for the hell of it, I connected the original 4-pin again, since it would be the only one that fits in there right at this point (wanted to use new power supply, but remains of old connector piece blocking the way). Shockingly.. It turned on... But who knows how much time it has left.

Was doing some computer tests(CPU stress, Video card stress) gaming on and off for about 9 hours, all of a sudden computer randomly reset.

Other notes:
-This started happening after I replaced my GeForce 5900XT with a new GeForce 7600GT (only and always pushing 1.5V to the card, regardless of which I had in). So I don't see the video card being an issue. Hoping that it's just a coincidence with it starting to happen right after the fact. The computer doesn't reset constantly either, I can honestly say this is the 3rd time it reset on me in a 3 day period of being on 24/7.

Components:
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Ultra V-Series 600W PSU~http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=59&pPath=369&productID=518
Leadtek A7600GT

So what are my options at this point?

1) Is there a way I can take out the female-socket part on the motherboard to get the remains out of it or something of that sort?
2) Tell either the motherboard or power supply manufacturer what's going on? My guess is, one of them is at fault...

Thanks folks!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Honestly, I've never heard of that PSU. It does not show up on any of the various 'recommended' lists, so I'd think that was a re-branded PSU from maybe rosewill...

What PSU did you get as a replacement?

As to getting the burnt bits out of your MB, I'd try some gentle surgery with a pair of fine-jawed needle nose pliers. The materials used in the connectors of your MB and PSU are usually dissimilar plastics that shouldn't fuse under normal operation.

If that's not successful, then possibly applying some heat with a soldering iron might help, but at that point I'd be looking for a new MB.

Good PSU's are worth their money.

snoopy3525

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Well It was just a different easy-quick-access power supply I could obtain from MicroCenter just to test it with. Wasn't actually able to use it though anyhow considering the bits from the old power supply were in the way so I just ended up bringing itb ack.

Looks like i'll be trying to get the pieces out then. Both original and new power supplies were from MicroCenter. I figured it wasn't cheap because the thing is actually heavier then most thermaltakes and antec's heh, but I guess that doesn't mean a thing.

Thank again Croc