Confussed about resulting FSB

Okay folks, sorry to sound like a newb here;but the last time I went OC happy was 4 years ago with my 2500+

It's time to upgrade from this old AMD machine; but I'm not ready to do anything too extreme. I was thinking of grabbing a Q6600 and just bumping it up to 3 gigs since from everything I've read this should be about as simple as a FSB bump to 333. (333*9=2.997)

Now, my question comes in to the resulting FSB for the memory. Would it double like normal, resulting in 666? Or will it quadruple since I'm using a quad core, to 1332?

Again, sorry if I've missed the answer somewhere on the forum; it's hard to look through a few thousand threads...
5 answers Last reply
More about confussed resulting
  1. It will be 333x4 for the resulting FSB, because Intel "quad pumps" the FSB. However, for the memory, it will only be double. So at 1:1, yes, it will run at 667.
  2. a little increase in vcore aswell
    you could also use a divider & make ram run 800 or higher
  3. OKAY, that's where I was getting lost at. Whatever happened to the old days where you just matched the cpu and memory... *Grumble grumble*

Yea, I figured I'd run the stress tests and see if a voltage bump was needed; seems to be 50-50 from the reviews and builds I've seen.

One more question and I'll let you folks get back to discussing the pros and cons of phase-change cooling. Like I said, this is just meant to let me get the hang of OCing intels; I'm not going to go crazy until next year's tax return with the new cores. That being said, I was thinking of grabbing some DDR 800s and under clocking them to the 667 speed.

I've found a nice set of 2*2 gig sticks that run at 4-4-4-12 at 2.0V. What do you think my chances of getting that down to 3-3-3-10 at the 667 speed?
  4. Those are low latencies for DDR2, but you never know! Give it a shot and Memtest it. Then blend test in Prime for ~12 hours or so and if it passes, then awesome.
  5. Actually, Patriot has a set of 800 that is suppost to run at 3-4-3-8 at stock; but it's only a 2*1 Gig set. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go XP or Vista. Since XP won't recognize more than 3 gigs; I'm leaning towards that set for now. Underclock it to 667 and see if I can get 3-3-3-8 out of it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking