Sign in with
Your question

Gforce 8800 gts getting truly dismal framerates...help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2007 9:25:26 PM

I come to you with a heavy heart, I truly do. I've tried so many different ways to correct this problem but I am getting awful frame rates when I'm gaming. Here are my specs:

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 P965 775 (Intel Chipset)
CPU - INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R (Dual core)
Power Supply - PSU OCZ|OCZ700GXSSLI 700W RT
Video Card - VGA XFX PVT80GGHE9 8800GTS 320MB R
Memory - 1Gx2|G.SKILL F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

Half life 2: Struggling to break 30fps during normal scenes, in combat I'm dropping below 20fps hitting a low at 12 gps

World of Warcraft: Was raiding in The Eye and was dropping to 6-8 fps during combat.

Hellgate London beta: Roughly the same performance as Half life 2

Now two these obviously are very scalable games but are still performing horribly

I'm currently using the most recent Nvidia forceware driver 163.71, I've also tried the 163.75 beta and neither has helped. I made sure to completely uninstall old drivers before trying new ones. I've tried tweaking the settings and have had some small improvements, here are my current Nvidia 3d settings.

Very recently I tried overclocking to try and solve this problem, I'm not very experienced with overclocking but did so following this tutorial http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/

Overclocking specs:

Does anyone have any suggestions, is there something I'm doing wrong? With my cpu and memory I can't see bottlenecking as being an issue, should I toss my mobo and get one with an Nvidia chipset? Someone help me....
October 23, 2007 9:31:47 PM

Hmmm...really should be preforming that bad. Have you tried a de-frag of your HDD?
October 23, 2007 9:33:08 PM

I haven't done a de-frag in a while, I've been putting it off because a de-frag on a 500gb HDD is so much fun, but I will give it a try.
Related resources
October 23, 2007 9:45:41 PM

Try forcing off V-sync on the forceware settings (Last setting), it can kill performance on some games.
October 23, 2007 10:04:58 PM

I forced off V-sync and there was an improvement, I tested it with Half life 2: Episode 2 with an epic action scene. Before it was unplayable going below 20fps, with V-sync forced off it was playable but still playing at around 20-30fps, very choppy but I was able to play through it without hating the world. Small improvement but still not what I should be performing at with these specs.
October 23, 2007 10:10:32 PM

Thats pretty weird... There should be no reason why an 8800GTS should strungle that much on HL2. My 7950GT kills HL2 and CS:S.

How long have you had your card? Have you always had these problems? What OS are you using?
October 23, 2007 10:15:16 PM

What resolution are you running?
October 23, 2007 10:23:30 PM

I've had this system for about 7 months, and when I first got it I was playing Elder Scrolls IV which ran fine, I just tested it for the first time in a long while and it didn't seem nearly as smooth as it used to be, I tried running first at 1680x1050(widescreen) and then bumped it down to 1280x1024 and it performed the same. That is one of the most frustrating things about this problem that I should have mentioned before. Resolution and graphics settings in the game are having very little effect on my frame rate. I remember when I first really noticed the problem I was playing the Enemy Territories: Quake wars beta and by default it had high settings and resolution but performed poorly, I tried turning down the settings and resolution but was still getting very bad frame rates and the same seems to be true for any game I'm running. Even if I turn the graphics down I'm still getting the same performance and I have no idea what could be causing it.
October 23, 2007 10:26:19 PM

Your system is very close to mine...965p s3 xfx 8800gts 320 E6400 @ 3.4 and i just checked my fps for hl2 in vista with all settings maxed and 1680 x 1050 and outdoor scenes the lowest i got was 177 fps and max 289 fps.
My xfx 8800gts is o/clocked with rivatuner 2.05 to 650 core and 2020 mem 53 degrees idle and perfectly stable so i would say you definetly have a major problem somewhere and these are my scores in Vista 32 home premium using the latest version of Fraps with the latest Nvidia drivers.
All games so far..Bioshock..Stalker..etc have no slow down at all at max settings so unless you have a major system configuration problem you might have a bad card but usually your problem is fixed with a good clean out of old drivers but even with bad configuration you shouldn't be any where near those low settings.
A well defraged hard drive is a must for hl2 and sufficent space for your swap file.
Your card is more than capable of handling hl2 maxed out.
I hope you find a fix because i would be very pissed at those fps for the price of the card to.
Best of luck
October 23, 2007 11:45:50 PM

Could you CPU-Z and tell us what speed the processor is running? When I first built my computer, for some reason, the E6600 I bought was running at 1.86 ghz, instead of 2.4. I guess this means it's possible that for some reason, the processor is running at a different speed than it should.

That's one thing to look out for I guess...

Also, how long has this overclock been in place? Have you tried un-overclocking it?
a c 275 U Graphics card
October 23, 2007 11:55:22 PM

Sounds to me like your problem is not the vga card.
1) Could you have acquired some spyware, or some other running task that you don't know about? Turn on the task manager display, and look for something that is consuming lots of resources, particularly CPU. Are there any unnecessary tasks running?
2) Could you have a heat problem that is throttling the cpu or vga card?
3) Could you have less memory than you think? High demand paging is a performance killer. Run memtest.
4) Could your hard drive be having a problem, and be going through lengthy error recovery?
5) Could the aux power cable to the vga card come loose, or be defective?
6) What has changed since it ran well?

Just some ideas, ---good luck---
October 24, 2007 1:12:31 AM

I just finished checking all the reseating and checking all the physical connections then ran 3DMark06 and got some interesting results. During the graphics tests the fps topped out at 57 and hit a low of 9 with the average being in the low 20s. However when it did the CPU tests the fps was stuck at 0, it was honestly at 0 for the whole test. It took several minutes to complete what seemed to me to be a 30 second test, now I've never used this software before but I presume those results are bad. Does this mean I've been looking in the wrong place this whole time? I downloaded CPU-Z but have no idea how to use it, argh...maybe I should move this over to the CPU section...
October 24, 2007 1:21:05 AM

Kano523 said:
I just finished checking all the reseating and checking all the physical connections then ran 3DMark06 and got some interesting results. During the graphics tests the fps topped out at 57 and hit a low of 9 with the average being in the low 20s. However when it did the CPU tests the fps was stuck at 0, it was honestly at 0 for the whole test. It took several minutes to complete what seemed to me to be a 30 second test, now I've never used this software before but I presume those results are bad. Does this mean I've been looking in the wrong place this whole time? I downloaded CPU-Z but have no idea how to use it, argh...maybe I should move this over to the CPU section...
Zero isn't really that weird for the CPU test. My (faster) Core2Duo 6550 gets zero FPS most of the time which is funny because my (slower) AMD 4400+ usually shows one FPS.
October 24, 2007 1:28:42 AM

lakedude said:
Zero isn't really that weird for the CPU test. My (faster) Core2Duo 6550 gets zero FPS most of the time which is funny because my (slower) AMD 4400+ usually shows one FPS.

That makes me feel better, but the problem still remains of why my fps is so tragically bad. I just reinstalled my chipset drivers to see if that might fix the problem and it had no effect.
October 24, 2007 1:36:24 AM

for CPU test 0-1 FPS is normal, all CPUS run that bad, the QX6850 can barely get 2-3 if it ran at 150% load, what was the cpu score though, thats what matters
October 24, 2007 2:11:23 AM

3DMark06 scores were overall 3230 and CPU 555 Marks, I know this is bad but I'm not sure what it means exactly or how to fix it. Ideas?
October 24, 2007 2:27:00 AM

Open up task manager with nothing open,basically right after your computer is done loading. How many processes do you have running in the background? Check your commit charge Total, what is that? also check your Page file size, see how big that is (in use). Check your available physical memory, how much is free? Check tempratures also(Worst case I have ever seen was my friends p4 2.4Ghz hit 210 F, his computer was acting insanely wierd and slow, so I started to check his BIOS and eventually come to the PC Health part with fan speeds and temps...then there it was, an almost boiling point temperature, I shut his pc off right away and ripped the side of the case off. There was a very thick wad of dust between the gap of the fins and the fan, 0 airflow over the fins) I know your deal is new and shiny, but just make sure its spinning and for the heck of it. I have seen some vista laptops from people(I work at a helpdesk) with 70+ processes running in the backround. I would also disable all that fancy useless crap that comes with vista take down Aero, windows defender, turn off all the fancy effects. Also when idling, just sit and watch your processes tab and see if anything starts eating up some %. Also make sure you have all your power cords plugged in, specially the v-card, sometimes you can boot without the extra power, but will crash/go very slow when load is applied. Also to use CPU-Z/GPU-Z the actual program runs on the fly(no need to install). It comes in a zip file, just open the zip file and run the application file, it'll take 5-10 seconds to pop up. Get back to us when you tried all this, something seems to be seriously wrong.
October 24, 2007 3:17:34 AM

Ditto to everything bildo said.

Your system is definitely frelled. Your 3dMark2006 score should be up around 9000+.

Make sure all your fans are turning. Do not overclock if you suspect a heat problem.

My 4400+ with a 1950xt gets over 5500 3dMark06s.

Your CPU score does seem very low. I'll check mine in a couple hours when I get home.
October 24, 2007 3:42:14 AM

Lots of input so far but I'm curious what OS you are running? Need to know that before anyone can give you some good feedback...
October 24, 2007 3:45:53 AM

Also.. Forgot to put it in last post. Was this system built clean? Or was it upgraded over time? Meaning, new build fresh OS install etc.. or components added drivers updated etc over time...
October 24, 2007 5:26:17 AM

I'm running XP pro and this system was a clean build when I first put it together about 7 months ago. I don't have an abundance of processes running in the background, I keep things pretty clean in that regard. Temperature doesn't seem to be an issue, right now my CPU is running at 34 C (About 92 F) and the highest I've ever seen it go is 37 C. Tomorrow I'm going to try a few more things then I'm just going to reformat and hope for the best.
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2007 5:51:03 AM

Whats your gpu temps? Im thinking a driver problem. Download driver cleaner, clean all your drivers after you delete them, then redownload your new drivers and install
October 24, 2007 6:13:37 AM

did you install the drivers correctly?? (ie driver cleaner pro etc) and if so did u get the latest ones??
October 24, 2007 7:20:48 AM

hi,
i think your CPU isn't working right , in 3d mark you should score about 2000 points .

check your bios
see if your fsb is set correctly and other things
turn off virtualization technology

hope it helps.

i'm running a
msi p965 platinum
E6600
2gb 900mhz ocz memory
8800GTS 640mb
oc'ed and got 11680 points in 3mark06
cpu score was 2900 @ 3184Mhz
October 24, 2007 8:35:08 AM

just run the CPU-Z utility mate and post a pic for us. Looks like your CPU might be acting up a bit.
August 23, 2008 7:19:06 AM

I have the same problem but from a different situation.
I recently decided to install vista 64bit i put it on a partition
at the beginning of a drive that had my XP32 programs on.

It was running fine but I decided to put another HDD in as was running out of space.
I also moved the fans in my P182 case from in between the power supply and HDD
to the middle front slot so that I could get the cables through the bottom with ease.

I might of bumped the graphics card power cord while the computer was on and caused the problem, or HDD power or SATA lead. It’s all plugged back in and I have done all the tests i can do but the GPU-Z becuse it takes a while.

Nothing is registering as overheating but I suspect there is overheating and or some process running trying to do something with my HDD as they have also been relabeled a couple of times.
Can bumping the power lead to the 8800GTS break something and how do I diagnose it?

If it’s not the bump is there any other option other than reinstalling everything to work it out, I have managed to not have to reinstall OS's for a long time now. This computer is probably 8 months old now.
!