Sign in with
Your question

Doom 3 Framerate Issue w/ 8800 GTS 640MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2007 10:03:05 PM

I recently built myself a new gaming rig and have had flawless performance thus far, until I installed Doom 3 that is.

In timedemo demo1 at 1680x1050, High Quality, 8xAF, 4xAA, I can only reach an average FPS of 51. The game play at these setting is too choppy to be usable. Even during the opening scene my FPS drops into the high 30's.

System Specs:

Windows XP Service Pack 2
Core 2 Duo E6750 stock speed (2.66ghz)
Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb at stock speeds
OCZ DDR2-800 Platinum at 4-4-4-12
EVGA nForce 680i Motherboard
550W Antec Power Supply

In all Source games (Including Episode 2 and Portal) I maintain 60 FPS or higher with all settings maxed (16xAA and AF). Ditto with Battlefield 2. Oblivion runs around 45 FPS or so (max settings).

From what I've read my processor/video card combination should be able to run Doom 3 on Ultra Settings at 50-60 FPS, with max AF and AA. Any suggestions?

I updated to the newest Doom 3 patch. I'm not having trouble with any of the other games mentioned, but I'll try the newest nVidia Driver and check for mobo bios updates.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Viper753
October 23, 2007 11:54:31 PM

I think you may be fine. Doom 3, for all it's 3 CDs worth, has some pretty hardware-tasking effects, so it may not be your system at all.

My biggest indication that your system is ok is Oblivion max @ 45 FPS. You have never seen such a system hog like Oblivion. Poorly coded to boot.

Your system is fine. Just be careful with that Antec PSU, they aren't so great. You may be underamping your system. But if it works, it works. If you stuck a Corsair in there you may get better performance...
October 24, 2007 12:27:11 AM

I installed the new chipset/graphics drivers. No change. Then, I figured it out. I tried disabling V-Sync in Doom 3 and Boom! great frame rates. I still can't run it at 16xAA, but it runs perfect at 4xAA. V-sync is enabled in all of my other games and I've never had an issue, so I didn't think about it.

Thanks for the help, mate. I read a lot of reviews on this particular Antec model before I bought it, as a rule I'm not an Antec fan.
!