building new system... and 17" or 19" for gaming?

jloether

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I would put this in the peripherals but nobody posts back in that section.

I've always used a 17" CRT for my gaming, mostly MMOs and strategy games... WoW and Starcraft and such...

Whats the benefits of getting a 19" monitor, and since they are widescreen won't it stretch the games?

I've never used one.... wondering what the benefits of getting a 19" over a 17" are... I won't be watching movies on it or doing digital editting... the one huge benefit will be playing poker and being able to see multiple tables at one time.... but I want to make sure it doesn't stretch my games because that would be lame.

please and thanks,

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Most new games support widescreen resolutions so nothing will be "stretched" and you will actually have more viewable in FPS games and the such.

IMO get one if you can afford it and enjoy. If your system specs can handle it you might even want to invest in a higher res 20" or 22"

jloether

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
what about if I don't play FPS games ?

Only going to play games like warhammer online and starcraft II... I'm not into FPS games.

For video card, will a x1950pro be ok for the upcoming MMOs ?

SteelZ

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
New RTS's Will support Wide Screen
WarHammer will support wide screen as a majority of players have a Widescreen moniter...
WoW already supports Widescreen and even the Matrox triple head to go is supported in WoW!

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yeah, wouldn't worry about the widescreen part. If you aren't going to be playing "fast" games, ie FPS, racing, etc., then you should be fine going with a LCD that has a refresh of 5ms. If you were going to play the odd FPS or racing game I would say go down to a 2ms LCD. I'd say check out Viewsonic @ 19" and the Samsungs @ 22" (both have 2ms and 5ms options).

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How about just ugrade to a larger crt monitor. CRT are still the best monitors when it comes to graphics. LCD still needs to improve. LCD are getting so popular that people thinks that lcd are the best, but reality crt are still the best monitors for gaming.

randomizer

Champion

I loathe my 19" CRT, it's fast (obviously) but looks like rubbish next to an LCD.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I recently got a 22" LCD screen, and I must admit it is quite a sight for my sore eyes. :lol:

One main thing I can point out in difference is color. I remember running 2 screens off my old system to compare the same pictures to another LCD which was 15" and I could tell how faded the colors were to the new 22". My dad's system is still using a 19" CRT monitor and its colors are even more faded.

For example the red in somethings look like a faded pinkish on my dad's CRT.

So picture quality would definitely improve, if your into more true colors.

TRENDING THREADS