Sign in with
Your question

Has my hard-drive died???

Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2008 10:15:00 PM

Hello,

When I turn on my computer (just before the part where windows loads) it says "Disk read error - Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart"

I go into my bios and see that my hard drive is being detected.

I recently bought a new PSU+VGA (no longer have the old ones) and being very unskilled with computers is it possible I haven't plugged in the correct sockets, plugs etc?

What might be the cause of my problem?

More about : hard drive died

April 26, 2008 10:41:20 PM

Make sure your HD has power and you didnt pull any of the cables loose while you were inside.

Unplug all HD cables and plug them back in.
April 26, 2008 11:12:11 PM

U can also boot from the ultimate boot cd and run a HD check.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4981.html

haven't done it form UBCD but i've heard it has a linux program that will boot up and check the HD --- hope it helps. (ps. you need to download and burn the image for it to work.)
Related resources
April 26, 2008 11:24:35 PM

Thanks for the replies roadrunner and bc.

I unplugged the sockets going from my hdd/cdrom/dvd rom and plugged them all back in.

Now I'm in an even bigger mess, the cdrom and dvdrom are not being read at all when I go into my bios. I have the 'system' cable plugged into the motherboard - which the 'master' socket connects into the dvdrom.

One of the little pins on the back of my dvdrom has been badly bent, this could be why it's not being read... anything I'm missing? And I've already checked to make sure the power is connected to each hardware device.

The hard-drive is being detected, but is still coming up with 'disk read error' - I would love to run some bootup utilities, or even try to re-install XP. But I can't as both my cdrom and dvdrom aren't responding at all. =/
April 27, 2008 12:01:16 AM

nick2124 said:
Hello,

When I turn on my computer (just before the part where windows loads) it says "Disk read error - Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart"

I go into my bios and see that my hard drive is being detected.

I recently bought a new PSU+VGA (no longer have the old ones) and being very unskilled with computers is it possible I haven't plugged in the correct sockets, plugs etc?

What might be the cause of my problem?

Just curious. what is the brand of your Hd and how old is the drive.
April 27, 2008 12:03:02 AM

seagate, 2 years.
April 27, 2008 12:44:20 AM

Well if it is being detected in your bios it has power. So my guess would be either it's plugged in incorrectly, bad hard drive, or motherboard. Since the hard drive is a Seagate it is still under warranty. Usually Seagate's have a 5 year warranty. When you boot your computer do you hear the hard drive spin up? Is it making any strange noises that you haven't heard before?
April 27, 2008 12:55:28 AM

Unplug the ide and power cables from both the cdrom and the dvdrom, then see if your HD boots. I am a bit suspicious of that 'bent pin'. Maybe also try a new ide cable for your HD, and check your MB's ide connectors for any further 'bent pins'.
April 27, 2008 4:49:27 AM

Have had a pro around... $59 an hour... after 45 mins of testing a few things he noticed that:

1) BOTH my cd and dvd rom are not being detected via my motherboard, he tried his own cdrom and same problem.

2) He inserted his own hard drive and had success. With mine it only got to "data read error".

3) He tested my cables and found them to be working fine.

Result: Inconclusive. He's taken my computer back to his office for further testing.

Could be hard drive failure, motherboard fault and/or faulty cd/dvd roms.

It's going to cost so much to fix... =( - Guess that new car I was going to buy will have to wait!
a b G Storage
April 27, 2008 7:53:57 PM

1. What motherboard?

2. What PSU?

May 1, 2008 9:43:08 AM

msi: socket 939 k8n sli diamond - 2 yrs old
psu: 450 watt... not sure of the brand. new..only $40us.

soz for the delay.
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 11:07:29 AM

Check your PSU first. These power problems are usually caused by bad PSU.
May 13, 2008 3:23:42 AM

psu is fine... my problem is now that the motherboard isnt detecting ANY cd/dvd rom. defective motherboard???
a b G Storage
May 13, 2008 11:09:26 AM

Yes. RMA the motherboard.
May 16, 2008 12:36:53 AM

Nick,

I appreciate your attempt to try to fix your system yourself. As it would appear that you are in a downward spiral, I suggest you have your system assessed by a professional computer technician. They will most likely be able to assist in undoing the damage that you did yourself.

With respect to your failed hard drive, I suspect that it has failed. The computer technician should be able to help make that determination and possibly assist getting your data off that drive. If they determine that your drive has failed and requires data recovery, you may want to have it assessed by a hard drive data recovery lab.

All in all, it really depends on the value of the data on the hard drive. If you don't care about the data or your system, then use it as a learning experience. If you are simply concerned about getting your computer back up and running use a service technician. If you are concerned about your data, contact a data recovery lab and a service technician.

Best of luck with your system,
Luke
May 16, 2008 10:14:36 PM

I suggest you have your system assessed by a professional computer technician.

Thankyou for the advice Luke.

I've done just that, and they've told me my HDD was corrupt, but is now fixed. The BIOS has been updated, however, it is still not detecting any cd/dvd roms.

They are telling me it is most likely a faulty motherboard.
!