Project AMD OC

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Hi all,

Finally got the time play a bit with my new rig:
Mobo: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WIFI (BIOS 1603, since 1503 has the HT x1 bug)
CPU: AMD 5000+ BE (Cooler: Scythe Ninja-PLUS Rev B)
GPU: 8600GTS (weak I know)
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB PC2-6400 XMS2 CL4 (need to open case and check what version they are)
Screen: Belinea 2230S1W 22" TFT 1680x1050

Here is what I got so far, Bus at 256MHz, CPU multiplier x12.5 and HT multiplier x4:
CPU: 3.2GHz (using Vcore 1.4V, which reads 1.44V in CPU-Z)
HT: 1024MHz
RAM: 914MHz (using 2.1V at 4-4-4-12-2T)

Still haven't fully stress tested it, but seems stable. Running Orthos CPU stays at 60 degrees BTW.
I will also check with HT x5, but the difference should be minimal.

OK, so what do you guys thing/suggest?

BTW, totally of topic, I'm really happy with the screen, 0 damaged pixels, nice colors and it was quite cheap too.

akhilles

Splendid
The o/c looks great. Don't change a thing. Ideally, keep HTT around 1000mhz.

FYI, my 3ghz idle is 29C & load 44C. The CM690 case cools better than I expected. Even better than my old case with 25cm side fan. I still haven't used up all the fan mounts.

I think you know how to o/c AM2. If you're interested in getting the most out of it:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/nforce5/DU-02451-001_v01_overclocking.pdf

The theory can apply to overclocking any AM2 boards other than nforce 590.

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Hum, your CPU runs really cool. I think mine idles at 31-33. What is the max temperature I should consider? 60-65? Right now I'm guessing 60 is my limit... and after I'm sure it's stable I will try to reduce Vcore to see if I can lower heat dissipation a little bit :)

I still only have 1 fan on the case (12"), will get 1 more soon to do push-pull. Also it seems the Ninja Rev B has some limitations.
On the good side it runs really quiet, since there are only 2 12" fans (both running 1200 rpms), plus the power supply, which is also 12" and also runs very quiet.

I had downloaded and quickly browsed that guide, now that you mention it, time for a better read ;)

Soon I'll play with OCing the GPU :p

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I have some questions for you guys. These are quite general, but take my setup into consideration too.

1 - What is the max idle and load CPU temperatures you would consider when overclocking? And what are good values for everyday use?

2 - What about voltages? What do you consider the max for OC tests and the max for everyday use?

3 - From what temperature do you think damage could occur? I'm guessing most CPUs would shutdown before that, but still.

4 - How important is the HTT speed? Some sources say get it high, others say keep it around 1GHz...

5 - Are there any benefits from OCing the PCIe bus? I'm guessing you need to have several cards and high power ones to really benefit.

6 - For games, is it usually better to go low latency or high frequency with RAM?

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Hum, nobody replied :(

Anyway, here is an update, I have been able to lower Vcore to 1.34V and it runs fine (except CPU stress testing) or alternativelly 1.38V (which seems the best setting).
It's now 56 degrees on load and seems much better...

akhilles

Splendid
1 - Max Temps (C) 55-72

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=41

2 - Voltages 1.25V/1.35V

3 - Beyond the specs. No cpu won't shut down pc. The mobo has this safety feature where you can set the shut-down temp. Some mobos hide it.

4 - Quite. 1000Mhz is perfect. Do benchmarks & see for yourself.

5 - Not a good idea, you can damage the pci-e. Keep it at 100mhz. You can o/c the gpu & vram.

6 - Do benchmarks & see for yourself. I myself prefer the highest o/c with the lowest latency.