Sign in with
Your question

New build problem...

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2007 12:21:26 AM

I just built a new rigg, got all the parts on Tuesday and took the day off to build it, and so far its been a great rigg. Spent 1500 and got a pretty nice system.

Specs:
Asus P5K-E Deluxe Wifi-AP
Intel C2 Q6600 G0 stepping
Zalman CPNS 9700 Cooler
2GB Corsair XMS 2 PC8500
ATI Radeon HD2900Pro 1GB GDDR4
2x 500GB Seagate SATA 300 in Raid0
800 Watt BFG Quad Rail PSU

I am running Windows Vista Premium. So far Vista has been great and given me no problems. But when I play a game after a short while it will restart. I have checked the components and so far everything seems fine.

I know its not the video card but for some reason in ATI CCC when I look at the clock speed it shows GPU at 504MHz and the memory at 514MHz. According to Sapphire it is just showing the 2D speed so I guess thats right. It has no Overdrive like in XP which makes things really interesting.

I decided to changed the PSU to make sure that it wasn't that. I had a 550 Watt Rosewill PSU and upgraded to a 800 Watt PSU. So I know its not the PSU.

I checked the memory and in the post screen it shows that its fine and the CPU seems fine and has caused no errors.

Its very frustrating to not be able to play any games. The game I have the problem on is Half Life 2.

If anyone has any ideas as to why I would be very greatfull.

More about : build problem

October 6, 2007 11:23:48 PM

Disassemble the machine and take the mobo out of the case. Make sure that you have the precise number of standoffs and all are screwed done. Given you have it out of the box I'd reinstall everything including the CPU and HSF. You can use rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter to clean it and then put on a dab of thermal paste. Turn on the machine after installing each part.
October 7, 2007 12:23:29 AM

Could it be a Vista driver issue?
Related resources
October 7, 2007 1:30:21 AM

Ill try to rebuild it but its strange that I can do everything else but when I game, using the video card/CPU/memory, it restarts.

I thought it might be a Vista driver issue but check out this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245570-31-reboots-pla... and you will see why I don't think its Vista.

This guys build uses XP and does the same thing. So it is something to do with the mobo. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest one and found it had the wrong timings for my DRAM in the previous one but it updated them in the new one.

I might just look into getting another mobo. Anyone have any suggestions on a P35 mobo equivalent to the Asus P5K-e?
October 7, 2007 1:45:16 AM

Post your temps, use speedfan or coretemp

and try something else intensive but not video related, such as orthos

All these utilities are easy to find on internet

If your temps look good and you can pass orthos then we focus on video
October 7, 2007 2:33:12 AM

Here's a good CPU stress tester Prime95 25.5. make sure you monitor temps and be aware of the offset. Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
Download Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest86. You will need to burn the ISO to CD with ISO Recorder v 2.

You should then install ATITool and click on "show 3D view" this will stress the card. If it crashes, you have the cause. You should set the fan speed to 100% before you do this to keep temps cool. IMO you should set the fan to 100% in atitool, assuming you can stand the noise, before you game.

Another good tool to use, especially for logging in game temps is RivaTuner v2.05. It is important that you read the manuals on these VGA programs. It will make it easier to access the settings and you can damage your card if you go blundering along.

There it is on a silver platter, go test.
October 7, 2007 4:21:09 AM

check if there is a newer BIOS.

I had some trouble with an older asus mobo, the HDD controller caused crashes under stress, if you have another controller on board try connecting your HDD to it.
October 7, 2007 5:05:31 AM

I updated to the newest BIOS available. I also set the memory back to DDR2 800 since I read that some people had trouble running it in DDR2 1066 stable and just OC'ed it to 2.6GHz.

Ran Memtest86 and the memory is good. Ran Prime95 for an hour straight and nothing. So it seems like it might have stableized. I guess I will upgrade to a X38 chipset when it comes out as it supports up to DDR3 1600 so the newer mobos should be able to recognize DDR2 1066 without having to do anything extra.
October 7, 2007 6:10:57 AM

Well here is something interesting..... After I set the memory to DDR2 800 and OC'ed the CPU to 2.7GHz, I decided to give it a whirl and played the Bioshock demo on 1280x1024 with everything maxed. I was able to play the entire demo where as before it would cause my PC to restart.

I think that the system was not stable using Asus super memory speed to make it run at 1066. Currently CPU-Z shows a FSB of 1200 and a clock speed of 1.8GHz(300x6). I guess its the G0 stepping that decreases clock speed when idle cuz when first booted it was 2.7GHz(300x9).

Maybe it is finally working. Lets hope so cuz I really like to kick back and game when I get off work.
October 8, 2007 11:32:54 PM

I am guessing its all good now. I ran 3DMark01-06 all in a row without it restarting and then ran Bioshock and Lost Planet: Extreme Condition demos each in a row without a restart.

I even ran the performance test in Lost Planet and it went through both maps 2 times without any restart.

I believe it is due to Asus SuperMem Speed. It clocks the FSB to a unsupported clock speed. So I lowered the DRAM frequency to DDR2 800 and just OC'ed the FSB to 300 giving me a very stable and cool 2.7GHz and 1200 FSB.

SO a note to any whoe get the P5K-E WiFi-AP. If you plan to run DDR2 1066 just set it to Auto/DDR 800 and just OC the FSB cuz it will be stable and much faster.
October 10, 2007 1:42:37 PM

So that setting is called 'SuperMem Speed'?

Did this come up in attempt to overclock or was this setting causing problems at stock speed also?
!