WD Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS & Vista ??

Mr Malcolm

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
So i got a WD Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS (500Gb) today got home, hooked it up and......nothing.

Funny thing is it shows up in my device Manager and says I have the most current driver, but it does not show up in the "My Computer" area or anywhere else. I am running Vista Ultimate 64. Is there a compatibility issue or something? The box says its "Vista Ready" but the software with it won't install because it's "only compatible with 2000, Server, & XP.

WD site only had the same software that's on the CD available for download. And of course the CS Dept is closed at this time.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Mr Malcolm

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
thanks man i just was about to post i got it going. ...i thought drives usually show up in my computer and you format them there or in disk management. I assumed since it wasn't in my computer then it wouldn't be in DM either.

Anywho...thanks!

rswenson

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I am trying this too but I keep getting the message "The operation cannot be completed because the disk is not initialized." I thought that is what I was trying to do. How do I initialize the hard disk so I can then format it?