Sign in with
Your question

Finished building my first PC! .... Now what?

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2007 12:43:11 AM

So, afre much research, and money saving, I finally spent about 1100$ on newegg and got parts to put together my first PC.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm

2 WD HD's, a 7600 GT, 2 DVD drives and a 500W Antec NeoHE.

So, I got all the parts, was careful with static and everything else and put it all together today.

Boots up first try, windows installs great, everything seems fine and Im really happy that I actually figured this thing out.

My question is, What should I do now? I read some about Overclocking, but Im not too sure if I grasp that yet. Ive heard about running stress tests? For how long? What software? What will this show me?

More about : finished building

October 6, 2007 3:21:18 AM

I also seem to have a problem, I just found.

My CPU fan isnt running fast at all, only 500ish RPM.

Any easy fix?
October 6, 2007 5:25:39 AM

the only real reason to OC is if your pc isnt as fast as youd like, and that youd want even more performance out of it. but, if youre not at all familiar with OCing, its best to read as much about it as you can, and to weigh the benefits for your uses, because if you arent careful, you run the risk of damaging hardware and/or losing data, or just voiding warranties for hardware thats not supported.

but, as far as what you 'should' do, thats really up to you, but i would recommend leaving your settings at default.

as far as your cpu fan, the low rpms would only be a problem if your cpu temperatures are too high. otherwise, the low rpms are probably just because your cpu isnt being stressed, and the temperatures might be okay as well... as long as youre below 80C, you shouldnt have any real concerns.
Related resources
October 6, 2007 7:53:43 AM

why did u get that graphics card?
October 6, 2007 8:40:12 AM

Heh.. the term over clocking, basically was.... taking hardware "poor mans budget" and making it perform like the top end machines.

I guess there another shade of modern overclock, taking high end and pushing them farther. But all in all, I can't seem to understand why people would put allot of money on a high end, and try to push them to their absolute limits, even if it is only 20 percent. To me, it really just doesn't justify the cost involved.

Perhaps if time was money for a.... home user, I could understand. But in most applications & games, its quite... crazy. :lol: 

:pt1cable:  . o O (just my 2 cents)

Just a quick example:

X6800 - 2.93 ghz = $975
E4400 - 2.00 ghz OC to 2.8ghz = $126

Even though you have an unlocked multiplier on the X6800, you will have less head room to OC on air. And all the other CD2 should be able to OC as fast as each other, but will be limited to the hardware you purchase, in my point of view. So that how I look at over clocking.
October 6, 2007 4:14:38 PM

Are there any APs I can run for stability or anything? It seems a little unstable, if I run all kinds of things occasionally I get a blue screen of death and a reboot ><
Only happened twice so far though.

Also, I got the 7600 because most all of the 8 series arent compatable with games I like to play, and I dont mind playing newer games on lower settings.
October 6, 2007 5:06:08 PM

digdugdiggy said:
Are there any APs I can run for stability or anything? It seems a little unstable, if I run all kinds of things occasionally I get a blue screen of death and a reboot ><
Only happened twice so far though.

Also, I got the 7600 because most all of the 8 series arent compatable with games I like to play, and I dont mind playing newer games on lower settings.

First, you may have to up the voltage on the ram to cure the instability. Run Memtest.

Secondly, who told you the 8800 would be "incompatible" with your older games? The 8800gts/gtx will run any older game, and better than would the 7600; and it will run any new game WAY better than the 7600. And for pure price versus performance competiveness the HD2900Pro would blow away the 7600 and give the 8800gts a run for its money. (The 2900-series also will run old games just fine.)
October 6, 2007 5:09:23 PM

Its not that theyre incompatible, theres just glitches in the game (namely FFXI online) where alot of animations freak way out on 8X series cards
October 7, 2007 8:41:27 PM

I severely doubt that, what kind of qualifications does your friend have to judge it? has he experienced it himself?
October 8, 2007 8:18:32 PM

I dont have any friend who told me, Ive seen it myself, and so have many others who play FFXI.
!