Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard Driver Programmer

Last response: in Applications
August 21, 2012 3:40:36 PM

Hello,

I'm a very experienced programmer, who's had a bad stroke. So now I have a gammy left hand. To rectify the problem, I've written the specification for a keyboard driver, that would help me type better. It would also help those, who've got a worse disability than mine.
August 21, 2012 4:05:12 PM

Good job :) . Care to elaborate what does it do exactly?
August 21, 2012 4:19:27 PM

Sunius said:
Good job :) . Care to elaborate what does it do exactly?

This was my specification.

http://anonw.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/the-definitive-st...

I've now adjusted my typing, so that most of the time, I use only one hand. My left arm was originally broken by the school bully and when i stsrted programming, the normal input device was a Teletype, where most strokes were one finger, so I've reverted to what I did forty years ago.

It still doesn't alter the fact that the driver is needed. One of my neurologists said that he's always asked for one. The main problems are.

1. Continually hitting Caps Lock.

2. Hitting Control-A instead of Shift-A, which selects everything in programs like Word. The next key then deletes your document

3. Control-Shift and certain keys mean obscure things in programs like Word. So you find yourself somewhere you don't want to go.
Related resources
August 21, 2012 4:31:56 PM

I have a suggestion: you could swap ctrl and alt keys, that way you wouldn't be able to press ctrl instead of shift ;) .
August 21, 2012 5:03:25 PM

Sunius said:
I have a suggestion: you could swap ctrl and alt keys, that way you wouldn't be able to press ctrl instead of shift ;) .

But i still need to be able to use Control-C and Control-V for cut and paste.
August 21, 2012 5:59:10 PM

Well, is alt + c so bad? I mean, alt and c/v are very close :) .
!