cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Looks like there's a problem with my hard disk.

I noticed the computer running stupidly slow at times, so did a reboot and windows decided the disk needed a consistency check.

The only things that catch my eye in the consistency check are:

5 unindexed files processed
Chkdsk discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap
Windows has made corrections to the filesystems
180KB in bad sectors

I've restarted the computer about 6 times now and every time the consistency check comes up, and the 'bad clusters' count seems to go up by 20KB or so.

I have Vista Ultimate installed, fully updated. AVG found nothing. System is as follows:

Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM
MSI P35 Neo2-FR iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 Socket 775 (1.8GHz) 1MB L2 Cache OEM Processor
OCZ 2 x 2GB Kit DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY
Sapphire HD 2400PRO 256MB DDR2 VGA DVI HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card

The symptoms now are that every now and then the system runs ridiculously slow, and (even without the consistency check) it takes a few minutes to boot into Vista. The hard disk does seem to make a strange noise when the system's running slow, but I'm not sure if the hard drive is faulty or if there's an error that could be repaired with some utilty.

If anyone could suggest anything I'd be very grateful.

Download SeaTools DOS (or run it via UBCD if you have UBCD). Do an extended check for HDD corruption. Also make sure ACHI or smiler option is turned off and the HDD is running at SATA2 (check for jumpers in the back of HDD).