Very low memory values in CPU-Z

Hello,

today I wanted to check if my RAM is running in dual-channel and I found out that DRAM frequency and NB frequency shows extremely low values - here is screenshot from cpu-z: http://i.imgur.com/JKcPD.jpg

In Bios and while booting it shows RAM frequency is 1333 and NB at default 2000 MHz. But cpu-z is showing clearly very different values and I dont really know how should I interpret this. It should be if I'm not mistaken DRAM frequency at 667MHz and NB frequency around 2000MHz.

Is this just a bug in CPU-Z or is something wrong with my system ?
I have 2x kingston 2GB HyperX Genesis grey 1600 MHz CL9 in dual channel and 1x Kingston 4GB HyperX 1600 MHz CL9. I tried to run it only with 2x 2GB in dual channel but got exact same values. Usualy NB peak at 220 and DRAM at 70 MHz.

I never changed any of the settings in BIOS or overlocked anything in my pc... everything should be at default values.

mobo, cpu and those 2x2gb ram are 1 year old, while those 4gb are fresh new... I didnt know what would happen if I add another ram with different size so I decided to check if dual channel is working by using cpu-z (used this SW for the first time) when I found these strange values.

I would be very glad for some help or explanation.
6 answers Last reply
More about very memory values
  1. Is your computer responsive? If the answer is yes, then it's a bug in CPU-z.
  2. Sunius said:
    Is your computer responsive? If the answer is yes, then it's a bug in CPU-z.

I have been playing some games recently (skyrim and diablo 3) and didnt notice any problems. FPS was usually fairly high on max settings. I dont know if those frequency would affect fps in games and to what degree. While surfing the net, listening music or watching movie I dont notice any response problems or lags.

Since it was first time I used this cpu-z program (which was recommended to me by co-worker) I though something was wrong because he got exactly same RAM modules and is getting correct values.

Well if its just a bug than I'm really glad... I tried to find something about it beeing a bug but no luck.

Thank you for your answer.
  3. It would greatly affect game speeds, as your computer would be around 100 times slower with such RAM.
  4. You didn't list your CPU, but I'd expect this to be a result of intel speedstep or AMD's cool and quiet. Your system is throttling when it's idle. Fire up a game and while the game is running, check out CPU-z. I'm pretty sure these lower the (NB) fsb speed as well as lower the cpu multiplier.
  5. Hawkeye22 said:
    You didn't list your CPU, but I'd expect this to be a result of intel speedstep or AMD's cool and quiet. Your system is throttling when it's idle. Fire up a game and while the game is running, check out CPU-z. I'm pretty sure these lower the (NB) fsb speed as well as lower the cpu multiplier.

I have Athlon II x4 645 @ 3.1GHz but I dont think its because of cool and quiet... I checked cpu-z while watching 1080p BD movie (CPU usage was around 30% at all cores and memory around 2gb) and it didnt change values in cpu-z memory page... they were still around 40-70mhz and nb at aprox. 200mhz.
  6. It might just be a bug in CPU-Z then. try one of these and see if you get better results.

http://alternativeto.net/software/cpu-z/
Ask a new question

Read More

DRAM Frequency RAM Dual Channel CPUs Apps