Composite Video Question

I have a Pioneer HDTV. It has 5 inputs. #1 is a male composite SYNC
Analog RGB input. #2 is HDMI. #3 is S-video. #4 is a RCA video
input. #5 is component. I have not used #1 and #2. I have a RCA to
S-video cable to connect my VCR to Input #3. My progressive scan DVD
is connected to #4 and my HDTV cable box is connected to #5. But my
DVD also has composite video outputs. It has occurred to me that I
could Y off #5 and input both the DVD and the cable box. However, the
Y RCA wires are less heavy than the RGB cables that I'm using. Would
I gain anything by Y-ing the DVD and the cable box? Also, would I be
losing anything? Would the DVD picture be any worse? I would
appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about composite video question

    "Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Pioneer HDTV. It has 5 inputs. #1 is a male composite SYNC
    > Analog RGB input. #2 is HDMI. #3 is S-video. #4 is a RCA video
    > input. #5 is component. I have not used #1 and #2. I have a RCA to
    > S-video cable to connect my VCR to Input #3. My progressive scan DVD
    > is connected to #4 and my HDTV cable box is connected to #5. But my
    > DVD also has composite video outputs. It has occurred to me that I
    > could Y off #5 and input both the DVD and the cable box. However, the
    > Y RCA wires are less heavy than the RGB cables that I'm using. Would
    > I gain anything by Y-ing the DVD and the cable box? Also, would I be
    > losing anything? Would the DVD picture be any worse? I would
    > appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks.

    I recommend a component video switch box instead of using 4 y connectors.
    Such connections will change impedance values and have an adverse impact on
    picture quality.

    Richard.

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:25:36 -0400, "Richard" <rfeirste at
    nycap.rr.com> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Pioneer HDTV. It has 5 inputs. #1 is a male composite SYNC
    >> Analog RGB input. #2 is HDMI. #3 is S-video. #4 is a RCA video
    >> input. #5 is component. I have not used #1 and #2. I have a RCA to
    >> S-video cable to connect my VCR to Input #3. My progressive scan DVD
    >> is connected to #4 and my HDTV cable box is connected to #5. But my
    >> DVD also has composite video outputs. It has occurred to me that I
    >> could Y off #5 and input both the DVD and the cable box. However, the
    >> Y RCA wires are less heavy than the RGB cables that I'm using. Would
    >> I gain anything by Y-ing the DVD and the cable box? Also, would I be
    >> losing anything? Would the DVD picture be any worse? I would
    >> appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks.
    >
    >I recommend a component video switch box instead of using 4 y connectors.
    >Such connections will change impedance values and have an adverse impact on
    >picture quality.
    >
    >Richard.

    OK, thanks.

HDTV Video Cable Home Theatre