Sign in with
Your question

Intel Socket 370 Fan & Heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
October 13, 2007 6:49:23 AM

Hi,

I have an old PC with Intel PIII 1000MHz on Socket 370. I need to run it since it has some programs which I thought I would never need. Anyways the CPU Fan wasn't working so I had a quick look at it and there was too much dust it is so assuming that was the case I decided to clean it up by removing the heatsink and vaccum it.

Well in process I broke the clip holding the heatsink/fan with the board. I know it is obsolete but does anyone know where I can buy a new assembly from who delivers to Australia?

This is the one I have found which I am going to look for on Monday.
http://www.expresspcparts.com.au/storefrontprofiles/Del...

Any help would be great.

Cheers :) 
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2007 8:06:11 AM

hang on, did the socket its self break, or the hsf its self? if its the socket, then you might have some luck using an AMD (socket A/462) heatsink which uses a wider mount and might get you out of the situation, otherwise that hsf you listed is sufficent for any P3/Celeron for 370

wrack said:
Hi,

I have an old PC with Intel PIII 1000MHz on Socket 370. I need to run it since it has some programs which I thought I would never need. Anyways the CPU Fan wasn't working so I had a quick look at it and there was too much dust it is so assuming that was the case I decided to clean it up by removing the heatsink and vaccum it.

Well in process I broke the clip holding the heatsink/fan with the board. I know it is obsolete but does anyone know where I can buy a new assembly from who delivers to Australia?

This is the one I have found which I am going to look for on Monday.
http://www.expresspcparts.com.au/storefrontprofiles/Del...

Any help would be great.

Cheers :) 

October 13, 2007 10:07:57 AM

the best place to look for those old parts is eBay, plenty of those around for as little as no money at all provide you win the bid.

other wise like above mentioned, a Socket A/462 or even a decent copper Socket 7 Heatsink and Fan is good enought :)  good luck finding one.
Related resources
October 13, 2007 12:34:39 PM

I am assuming you mean the plastic tab on the socket broke off. If that is so, then the other poster is correct. Just acquire a socket A heatsink that has the three tab holes in the metal bracket which afixes to the plastic socket, and you are back in business.
October 14, 2007 11:16:46 PM

No the socket on the mobo is just fine and even the heat sink is fine.

It's just a clip which passes from the middle of the heatsink and holds the heatsink/fan assembly to the socket is broken.

I had a look at few on ebay but they didn't post it to Aussie land (only in USA).
October 15, 2007 8:41:44 AM

give me your address, I think i have a few of those clips around can send it to you mate :) 

will you send me a kangaroo? :D 
October 15, 2007 12:42:03 PM

It would be far better just to buy another complete HS and fan unit.
!