Sign in with
Your question

Holiday Buyer's Guide 2007: Part 1

Last response: in Motherboards
November 1, 2007 11:54:57 AM

I have to say - I am disappointed that the last article is coming out a slim 2 days before the major holiday. That is the one I wanted to make some decisions based upon, however there will not be enough time.

And I only want it for the video camera reviews - pity the people wanting to see what laptop to get, they won't be able to get theirs until 2 weeks into the new year!
November 1, 2007 12:15:01 PM

Very funny article! Had me laughing all the way through! Thank you.
Related resources
November 1, 2007 1:30:16 PM

I think I speak for many of us when I say that the best part of the article was Sarah holding the equipment.
November 1, 2007 2:09:09 PM

jafoca said:
I have to say - I am disappointed that the last article is coming out a slim 2 days before the major holiday. That is the one I wanted to make some decisions based upon, however there will not be enough time.

And I only want it for the video camera reviews - pity the people wanting to see what laptop to get, they won't be able to get theirs until 2 weeks into the new year!
I second that! What's the use of holiday buyers guides if they come out too late to do any buying?? :pfff: 

At least it's not too late to change dates!!! :) 
November 1, 2007 2:38:21 PM

Just wondering how the products are chosen to be in the buyers guide?? Is it as simple as whoever pays Tom's to be in the guide gets in? Cause some of the "guides" (ok, one in particular) seem to be little more than regurgitated marketing babble.
Quote:
The secret to the BTF95's remarkable cooling ability lies in its unique engineering, which features heat pipes instead of the traditional heat sink plus fan design.
[sarcasm]WoW! :o  That's remarkable AND unique, cause nobody else uses heat pipes!!! [/sarcasm]

What's the basis for Tom's recommending buying this HS by including it in the guide?
November 1, 2007 2:51:44 PM

What's the basis for Tom's recommending buying this HS by including it in the guide?

They have a Sense of Humor and it's a neat heat sink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor
November 1, 2007 3:26:14 PM

True, my 9-year old daughter would love to have a HS shaped like a butterfly!
November 1, 2007 4:46:57 PM

I was skimming through the article and actually stopped reading any of the body text after seeing the butterfly cooler recommendation.

The pictures were a nice touch but the article itself seems to be a joke of some kind. Though, I did not really get it, as some of the items seem to be decent choices.
November 1, 2007 5:50:01 PM

A little early for an April fools day review so I'm wondering what the deal with this article is as well. The 2 heatsink reviews totaly made every other word in this article not worth reading... the second one is practically a stock intel cooler and costs 40 dollars. lol
November 1, 2007 7:24:44 PM

The_Gremlin said:
Just wondering how the products are chosen to be in the buyers guide?? Is it as simple as whoever pays Tom's to be in the guide gets in? Cause some of the "guides" (ok, one in particular) seem to be little more than regurgitated marketing babble.
Quote:
The secret to the BTF95's remarkable cooling ability lies in its unique engineering, which features heat pipes instead of the traditional heat sink plus fan design.
[sarcasm]WoW! :o  That's remarkable AND unique, cause nobody else uses heat pipes!!! [/sarcasm]

Speaking of paying to be in the guide, I was wondering how Gigabyte ended up with 3 of the 10 items... But that's probably my cynical attitude showing up.

Clint
November 1, 2007 7:58:12 PM

Shez said:
I think I speak for many of us when I say that the best part of the article was Sarah holding the equipment.

There were no shots of her rear end though !?
November 1, 2007 9:47:43 PM

Ahhhhh She has a nice smile and beautiful eyes. At least she is not doing some lame cell phone review and this time you get to see the products....nice job...........

I want to see her holding an 8800GT......................

Finally, Tom's did some thing that I liked.......

Intell VS AMD?.........who cares :pt1cable: 
November 1, 2007 10:17:18 PM

i have to say she is gorgeous... can we get a few wall papers of just her... maybe without ram or motherboards... and hike up the skirt a lil? maybe a few that are 1440 x 900 for people like me... please tom?
November 1, 2007 10:35:43 PM

anyone got a link to last years xmas buyers guide?

Sarah looked much hotter in that shoot !! (thou still hot in this one)
November 1, 2007 11:02:38 PM

As lovely as Sarah is, she wasn't holding some of the circuit boards in an ESD-safe manner. I'd be happy to work closely with her to show her which parts are safe to touch, and which are not ;) 

Regards,

Altazi
a c 122 V Motherboard
a c 132 à CPUs
a b } Memory
November 2, 2007 12:18:06 AM

I am surprised the zerotherm was in there without ever seeing a review here....
November 2, 2007 12:24:37 AM

see, better last year !!

November 2, 2007 2:22:16 AM

Did anyone even read their suggestions??

I know for one I didnt. Was just hoping this guide would keep going and going and going!
November 2, 2007 3:17:56 AM

Uber_sven said:
anyone got a link to last years xmas buyers guide?

Sarah looked much hotter in that shoot !! (thou still hot in this one)

had the exact same thought

so far from each other, so close in tastes....
November 2, 2007 4:38:52 AM

Why are there so many ram and motherboards in the guide? Because it's part one? And most of these things has never been reviewed here on THG... Come to think of it why is there more than 1 part?
November 2, 2007 1:36:43 PM

Less text, more Sarah :whistle: 
November 2, 2007 2:19:42 PM

i wasn't even looking at the products... were they good?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
November 2, 2007 2:21:45 PM

Do you get the feeling this holiday guide is made up of both 1.) parts the company hasn't had time to test and 2.) parts that have already won awards?
November 2, 2007 2:24:26 PM

from the 2005 guide

"the Best Gaming System Ever: AAC Liquid XS
When it comes to gaming systems, nothing currently beats water-cooled SLI and dual high-end graphics cards.
The Liquid XS screams speed in every conceivable way, from its Athlon 64 4000+ CPU, to its stock use of Corsair XMX XL Pro RAM (2 x 512 MB DIMMs set to 2.5-3-3-7 timings), to its dual WD 74 GB Raptor drives, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, and Antec Neopower 480W PSU. Of course, the heart of any gaming system is the motherboard and graphics cards - in this case, the DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLI-D and two XFX 256MB GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-E graphics cards have what it takes to do gaming right."

the good old days
November 2, 2007 2:43:10 PM

I would like to have Sarah for my xmas present!

But i guess my wife wouldn't like that
November 2, 2007 4:29:12 PM

ramo said:
I would like to have Sarah for my xmas present!

But i guess my wife wouldn't like that

go ramo!

you can do it!
November 2, 2007 5:00:25 PM

kevdog said:
Was just hoping this guide would keep going and going and going!
Actually, it WILL keep going and going ... right up until a few days before Christmas!

But I already complained about that! (the timing ... not the going and going) :) 
November 5, 2007 2:41:44 PM

Hiya! I'm the guy who's coordinating the buyer's guide and therefore in the know about how products get selected. We use a two-prong process for selection: we inform our advertisers about the guide and ask them to submit selections, and then we ask our editors (all 40-some-odd of them) to submit their suggestions, and to provide responses to the vendor submissions. After that Editorial coordinator Barry Gerber and I go over the list with the other big dog site editors (Patrick Schmid and Rob Wright, from Tom's Hardware and Tom's Games, respectively, as Barry is also the big dog for Tom's Guide) and make a final selection.

There's no requirement that an item have been granted a format review in any of the Tom's sites to qualify for the holiday buyer's guide, though it certainly doesn't hurt, and clearly drives a lot of the editor's selections. We try to pick stuff that's useful, a little offbeat, and affordably giftable.

Those of you who don't like our selections are pretty open about your reactions and estimations of such things. You could help us and our readers more by adding you recommendations for substitute items.

As for the timing of the guide installments, I agree that waiting until 12/23 to publish the last installment makes it something less than useful for its intended purpose, especially for that final installment. We've already promised to stick to the published schedule, so I'm not sure we can speed things up for contractual reasons. But I'll find out about leaking selections for the final installment when the next-to-last one posts with "the powers that be," if that will help any.

Thanks to one and all for your feedback. We always pay attention to your postings and try to learn what we can from your input.

--Ed--
November 5, 2007 7:46:32 PM

Funny article. Since when did TH try to be like a Maxim photo shoot? Heck, you could have just placed a beer next to the gear, and it would have looked just as nice... and would have stayed quiet too. Anyhow, I'm done with Tom's and their cheesy attempt to be cool. There are far more advanced sites other than this one, and I don't have to waddle through pics of girls holding gear. I appreciate the gesture, really I do, but I'm not that desperate to see a face.
November 8, 2007 8:52:06 PM

Hi etittel

How about a nude Sarah with suitable high-end PC components to preserve her modesty...

Seriously though I'll take all the motherboards and RAM off your hands that got zapped with ESD from her Santa suit... :-)

Bob

P.S. Glad to see that THG is still the last the bastion of testosterone fueled overclocked, overvolted, rugged, manly hardware type stuff!!

!