Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will this PSU power a 8800gts?

Last response: in Components
Share
October 13, 2007 9:21:41 AM

Hi, I'm getting a new computer parts soon and was wondering if anyone knows if this PSU will be powerful enough for the e-GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

ePOWER EP-520XP-C1B ATX12V 520W Power Supply 100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Here's the parts I'll be getting:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200
GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard
mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
2 hard drives

I already have the case and hard drive and all the other parts so I just need to buy the cheapest (but still high quality) PSU that will work with this system and a 8800gts card.

If that PSU is too weak what do you think of this PSU?
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Thanks.

More about : psu power 8800gts

a b ) Power supply
October 13, 2007 9:24:44 AM

go for The CORSAIR one definitely
October 13, 2007 9:33:21 AM

Alright, thanks man.
Related resources
October 15, 2007 2:57:45 AM

skip both

silverstone strider 600 is better - have the corsair 520 in one of my microatx boxes i am not impressed

they look good but they run hotter then my #1 pick silverstone and its higher cost like the corsair ram

over priced!
October 15, 2007 2:58:41 AM

at $79 the corsair looks good
October 19, 2007 12:17:47 PM

I use a Silencer 750 Quad ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) for my 8800 GTS. (It'll give you more than the minimum 26A on the +12v rail - This baby puts out 60A, so you have room to grow on!) This thing is a BEAST!! The cables all come bundled in mesh, so it's easy to keep them out of the way for a nice, organized case, and everything is rock solid in terms of durability and performance. It also has tons of connectors (SLI ready!), so you don't have to worry about plugging 3 splitters into your existing PSU :p 

Anyways, just my 2cents.
October 19, 2007 1:33:51 PM

The Corsair VX550W is strong enough to power any system with a single GPU. The ePOWER might not be bad, but in my opinion the Corsair is worth the extra ~$50.

rgeist554 said:
I use a Silencer 750 Quad ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) for my 8800 GTS. (It'll give you more than the minimum 26A on the +12v rail - This baby puts out 60A, so you have room to grow on!) This thing is a BEAST!! The cables all come bundled in mesh, so it's easy to keep them out of the way for a nice, organized case, and everything is rock solid in terms of durability and performance. It also has tons of connectors (SLI ready!), so you don't have to worry about plugging 3 splitters into your existing PSU :p 

I saw this happen on another thread and I would hate to see it happen again: some guy posts saying that he needs a 500-600W PSU for his 8600gt (which was probably already overkill) and all of a sudden people convince him that he needs a Silencer 750 "just in case" or so he has "room to grow" :heink:  What a waste! Just because I might get married and have kids sometime in the next 10 years doesn't mean I should go out and buy a school bus so we have room to grow :D 
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2007 1:51:24 PM

Yeah, fantastic PSU, I got one myself. It's massive overkill for that system though. He's better off buying the 520HX and saving $90 that can be used to upgrade the video card or CPU.
October 19, 2007 2:04:40 PM

homerdog said:
The Corsair VX550W is strong enough to power any system with a single GPU. The ePOWER might not be bad, but in my opinion the Corsair is worth the extra ~$50.


I saw this happen on another thread and I would hate to see it happen again: some guy posts saying that he needs a 500-600W PSU for his 8600gt (which was probably already overkill) and all of a sudden people convince him that he needs a Silencer 750 "just in case" or so he has "room to grow" :heink:  What a waste! Just because I might get married and have kids sometime in the next 10 years doesn't mean I should go out and buy a school bus so we have room to grow :D 


Not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just an observation I made just now :p  (So don't take this as an attack on you!) I noticed that a lot of people (at least here in America) "buy to expand" for the future regardless of actual need. For example. Some single guy or lady buys a huge, 3mpg Hummer or Suburban to drive in traffic to and from work everyday. They aren't towing 1000 lbs, offroading, or carrying full loads of people... yet they still buy it! (I'm guilty of this when I build my computers, as you said :D  , but I still love it)

I guess I'm just trying to say that everyone is guilty of doing this in some way. :) 
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2007 2:11:29 PM

rgeist554 said:
Not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just an observation I made just now :p  (So don't take this as an attack on you!) I noticed that a lot of people (at least here in America) "buy to expand" for the future regardless of actual need. For example. Some single guy or lady buys a huge, 3mpg Hummer or Suburban to drive in traffic to and from work everyday. They aren't towing 1000 lbs, offroading, or carrying full loads of people... yet they still buy it! (I'm guilty of this when I build my computers, as you said :D  , but I still love it)

I guess I'm just trying to say that everyone is guilty of doing this in some way. :) 

So with this in mind, look at these links. This PSU below would fit the minimalistic point of view, if you just need to get what would work.
8800gtx on 380w Antec PSU!
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

PSU - $49 shipped! $39 w/Google checkout! Can power 8800gtx /e6600! See link above for proof!
Antec Earthwatt 380W P/Satx 12V v.2.2 80MM P/S2 Fan 80-Plus Certified - EA380
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-380w-p-satx-12v...
October 19, 2007 2:20:20 PM

lunyone said:
So with this in mind, look at these links. This PSU below would fit the minimalistic point of view, if you just need to get what would work.
8800gtx on 380w Antec PSU!
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

PSU - $49 shipped! $39 w/Google checkout! Can power 8800gtx /e6600! See link above for proof!
Antec Earthwatt 380W P/Satx 12V v.2.2 80MM P/S2 Fan 80-Plus Certified - EA380
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-380w-p-satx-12v...


I was actually using a 420W to power my system (RAID MAX factory PSU - came with my Scorpio case) w/ +12v @ 14A and it worked just fine for over a year, it's just that I became very limited on extra Molex cables (I had long links of splitters etc,) and the GTS was taking up two +12v plugs since they were only rated at 14A (2x14=28A, so I could reach the minimum 26A mark) . So as long as you get the right amperage and a reliable name, you'll be fine.

I just got a little trigger happy! :D  (Plus the store I buy from was out of the Silencer 620W and I was very impatient at the time)
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2007 3:57:47 PM

Yeah I have a Raidmax PSU right now running my current rig, so I'm not saying that it won't work, but I just try to recommend QUALITY PSU's, if at the least. I know that alot of people recommend a PSU that is way over what is needed, but this isn't always a bad thing. I just like to point out that you can get by with a 380w PSU, but that isn't what I'd recommend.
October 19, 2007 5:04:09 PM

rgeist554 said:
Not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just an observation I made just now :p  (So don't take this as an attack on you!)

It's cool, I just got a little carried away :ange: 

Let me try again:
The Silencer 750 is one of the most highly recommended PSUs around, but for the price he could get a 640MB 8800gts which would be a way better investment. It just isn't necessary to spend $150 on a PSU for a non SLI/Crossfire system ;) 
October 19, 2007 6:10:57 PM

homerdog said:
It's cool, I just got a little carried away :ange: 

Let me try again:
The Silencer 750 is one of the most highly recommended PSUs around, but for the price he could get a 640MB 8800gts which would be a way better investment. It just isn't necessary to spend $150 on a PSU for a non SLI/Crossfire system ;) 


Sir, I commend you! That is an excellent way of putting it. :D 
!