HELP! Calculating drive space

JTalbot017

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I am trying to calculate the drive spae on a file server. Currently there are 3 - 18.2gb drives in the bays. I have no idea what RAID we are using, but I assume it is RAID 5. Using the "(n-1)/n" formula, I get that each drive has 12.1gb usable space. Here is my problem: the current total space on the logical drives doesn't add up:

C: = 24.2gb
D: = 9.76gb

I can't figure out the math. I need to get this figured out quick because I need to calculate what an expansion of 2 more 18.2gb drives will do to the total available space on each logical drive.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
That actually sounds sorta close.

you can expect 3 18GB drives in RAID 5 to be "roughly" 36GB, 24.xx and 9.xx come damn close, given other factors I'd say that to be correct.

But if you add 2 additional physical drives your either going to have to rebuild a new RAID array or create a mirror or something as an additional physical drive.

JTalbot017

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
How is that done ? I have no clue how to have 1 array and designate specific space. All the materials I have read designate logical drives over specific hard drives but don't split the individual hard drive space up.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
?? You currently have this config

HDD0
HDD1
HDD2

This is approx 36GB of space, which has been divided into 2 logical drives, one 25GB, and the other 10GB

Do you have a rack mount server? If you do then when you put the 2 additional drives in you have the option of making them stand alone, RAID 1, RAID 0. And anything else im forgetting? don't think so.

Lets say you make them a RAID 1, then you will have 18GB of drive space available, you can put as many logical drives you want on there, just use the disk management in windows.

I don't understand your questions.. so i need you to answer this

1. What type of computer are you using? home built/dell rack mount, IBM or HP blade?

2. What are you TRYING to do?

JTalbot017

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I am still confused on how you can create two logical drives in only 1 array. I am truly at a loss with trying to do this. Overall, I am trying to increase drive capacity in each logical drive. They are both below the 20% free space recommendation. We are using an HP tower server (an old one). I am trying to get the server above 20% to last for at least a year until new servers are approved.