I currently have Alhlon FX-57,Asus A8N SLI Premium,2GB RAM,GeForce 6600,22'' widescreen monitor,Vista 64bit.I need to buy a new graphics card.What i need to know can I plug the new 8800GT(PCI 2.0) to my system?I guess I can't but I'm not sure.Will my CPU bottleneck 8800 series cards(GT,GTS,GTX-haven't made a decision yet).I would like to play Conan when it's out.Thank you
I agree with the above and would get the 8800GTX, but to answer your other question. The PCIe Base 2.0 specification supports both the 2.5GT/s (PCIe 1.1) and 5GT/s (PCIe 2.0) signaling technologies. A device designed to the PCIe Base 2.0 specification may support 2.5GT/s, 5GT/s or both. However, a device designed to operate specifically at 5GT/s must also support 2.5GT/s signaling. So in short...yes you will be able to run the 8800GT and most any PCIe 2.0 card in a regular PCIe 1.1 slot. Hope this helps!
Yes but to me it's also OMFG expensive and there's a possibillity my Cpu won't let it shine.So can I plug PCI 2.0 card into a PCI 1.0 motherboard?
Regardless of the bottleneck or not...if you can afford the GPU and dont want to upgrade for alil while then the 8800GTX will still out perform the other cards across most games. Im pretty sure you will not be disappointed any way that you go though, but if you go for othe 8800GTS I would make sure and get the 640mb and not he 320mb. In my case I play a game that on its highest setting uses 500+mb of texture memory and many more games will use this as well.
Also, What PSU are you running! You will want the 8800GT if your PSU is moderately old imo because it performs well and has a much lower power requirement.
Yea you should be fine for any of the cards. If the cards are as cheap as people are saying they are going to be and the recent Chinese review holds true then you may want to consider SLI'ing the 8800GT's, they would probably outpace an 8800GTX, but I would wait for a review from toms or anand before making that decision in the next couple of weeks.
If the GF8800GT comes out to be anything near what it's predicted I'd say get the GF8800GT, and if you like it and want to spend that extra $200, get a second one and run it in SLi on your SLi MoBo, and enjoy the benefits should you so desire, but I see no point in buying the GTX if the GF8800GT is anywhere near the levels it's previewing at. So in other words, wait the 6 more days for the new reviews, and then spend wisely based on your needs, not just what someone says is ZOMFG-erific. :sarcasm: