My Sound Card Debacle

vicsable

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
With all of the sound card choices out there, I am at a debating point with what I should go with on a real sound solution. I currently am working with my motherboard's onboard sound (Asus M2N-SLI deluxe, possibly Realtek AC1988 something?) While it is not bad, I know my sound experiences can be greatly enhanced by another choice. Soundwise, I use my computer for moderate gaming (World of Warcraft, sadly hardware acceleration would be no good right now since Blizzard has gone to a software-based solution for their sound), and moderate music listening. I also have a future idea of converting all of my entire vinyl collection into digital audio. I know with this, I will probably want to upgrade my speakers as well to get my money's worth out of the card. (currently have an Altec Lansing 5 speaker system I got in about 2001 or so, can't remember the model) I have looked at many reviews, here, and many other areas on the web to find the right choice for my needs. Here is my list of choices I have come up with:

Creative X-fi Elite Pro
Creative Audigy 4 Pro
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Asus Xonar D2
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (sounds good for recording, know nothing about gaming on it)
Bluegears Inspirer 7.1
Sondigo Inferno 7.1 (Oxygen chipset, I believe?)
Turtle Beach Montego DDL

On speakers, I seem to prefer the Logitech series. Bose looks good, but rather expensive, and Creative seems so-so.
On the Logitech speakers, I have narrowed it down to four:
Logitech Z-5500
Logitech Z-5450 (not sure about rear wireless speakers)
Logitech Z-5300
Logitech X-540 (center speaker would be great to clip on my lcd)

Another question is compatibility. I am wondering if first, the sound card would be compatible with my Asus M2N-SLI deluxe motherboard. I do have an available PCI slot for this, if that helps. Secondly, choosing the sound card that would be compatible with my speaker selection and to maximize the benefits of the card choice. Looking for any possible suggestions. Thank you for reading.

mcfly29

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I have the 5300 and for the price they kick butt but if you've got more money the 5500 will do the trick. I wouldnt dish out 5500 money for the 5400 series which is esentially in the same ballpark sound wise with the 5300's, just wireless rear speakers! And the x540's; I thought you wanted to step up not sideways or backwards! I have an x-fi and its great can't comment on the other manufacturers cause I don't have any experience with em'.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Get the 5500 and the xfi (any of them but not the 7.1...you wont need a 7.1 as there are not enough games/movies that use that, and your ears may not notice the diff.).

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
ok if your gonna do vinyl to digital rips you will defiantly want a sound card. I use "Audio recorder for free" I can promise you your vinyl rips will sound like crap without a sound card. You will get a constant hiss when recording with on board, That hiss is little/none with a sound card. To record from vinyl to my hard drive i went ->turntable to receiver line in-> use a y cable from the receiver line out to sound card line in.

I would like to point out that current inboard solutions, on quality mobos, have very low signal-to-noise ratio, often beating dedicated cards - so, if you want to record your vinyls, your integrated chip may very well be better than a dedicated, $300 sound card.
Moreover, even the Realtek ALC880 can handle 7.1 with accelerated EAX 2.0 - and it works. Just ensure that you have a recent driver.
On the other hand, since Vista basically disabled DirectSound3D and you need to use OpenAL games to get sound acceleration, a dedicated sound card is... well... pretty much dead weight and wasted money.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004

I've been wanting a new sound card but as far as i understand things at present and also going to upgrade to Vista soon theres not much point because of the above.
Where is game audio going??
:pt1cable:
Vista seems to have killed it for better sound cards?