PLEASE HELP ME. External drive prob

RNangel98

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I am sorry if the answer to my question is posted somewhere already but I can't seem to find it.

I have (probably should say had) a 1 TB Western Digital My Book Premium Edition II external hard drive. Now the drive does not work and I'm not exactly sure why. When I run the RAID manager it tells me that the status is bad. I disconnected it from the computer and power source, reinstalled it, restarted the computer, and anything else that the WD website said to do or I could possibly think of. I think the drives (there are 2 500 GB) themselves are bad because when I turn on the external hard drive it makes a clicking sound. I was thinking about replacing the drives but not sure if I could and if I could which model to get. The Model is WD5000KS. I've seen WD5000AAKS and another model but can't remember what it was but the only difference was the last 2 letters. Can they replace the WD5000KS? And do I have to replace the drives with 500GB or can I get larger size?

PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I EITHER PULL ALL MY HAIR OUT OR THROW THE WHOLE COMPUTER OUT THE WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:fou:
I've spent most of my day today trying to find answers and if you couldn't tell I'm a little frustrated. Thanks.

RNangel98

number 13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
disassemble the drive enclosures and connet the drives to a IDE or SATA connector which ever it has and see if you can run any diagnostics on them, the only thing I know to do