SC4 Graphics Corruption

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

When laying out new streets, roads, avenues and whatnot, in the transparent
parts of the new layout (where streets are still under construction) if I
scroll one direction or another, the new layout disappears and I get
pixelization artifacts that remain in the same position on my screen until
I stop scrolling and then they disappear. And even when I stop scrolling,
the semitransparent layouts don't reappear. I won't see them again until
the construction crew is finished building them.

Also, when destroying buildings, the cloud of dust that results has a sharp
border block. The cloud is there, and then there's a straight line and the
cloud of dust doesn't extend beyond that line.

I wondered if anybody else experienced these things. I don't think it's a
hardware heat problem because this is something that happens from the
start. I haven't thought to try this until now, but if I have time to play
tomorrow, I'll see if SC4's screen capture will capture the artifacts.

Here's a brief rundown of my hardware with all the probably irrelevent
stuff removed:

System Credentials - Hardware
Motherboard : Abit NF7 -
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333 MHz (Not Overclocked)
CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 (Recommended by AMD)
DIMM3 - 512 MB PC-3200 DDR400 SD-RAM (Infineon)
DIMM2 - 256 MB PC-3200 DDR400 SD-RAM (Unknown Brand)
(DIMMs running in Dual Channel mode)
AGP : Chaintech GeForce FX 5600XT (128MB DDR-RAM) 64-bit :-(
Running nVidia Version 56.72 Reference Drivers
NEC MultiSync FP2141SB 22" Monitor @ 1600 x 1200 x 85Hz
: SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1
Front Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
Rear Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
Center Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
Gameport: Gravis xTerminator Digital Gamepad

PS/2 1 : Logitech Optical MouseMan Wheel
PS/2 2 : Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Case: Antec SX1030B (Black)
Power Supply: 500 Watts
5.25 #4 ex: Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Live Drive II/IR
3.5 #4 in: Maxtor 30GB ATA-66 7200RPM Hard Drive Model 53076U6
VIA IDE1a (Master)
3.5 #5 in: Western Digital WD800JBRTL 80GB ATA-100 7200RPM HardDrive
HighPoint IDE3a (Slave)

Cooling :
CPU: Heatsink : CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 (Recommended by AMD)
Rear:
P/S Cooling Fan : Antec DF1208SL - 0.20 amp - 12 volt
Rear Cooling Fan 1 : Antec DF1208SL - 0.20 amp - 12 volt
Rear Cooling Fan 2 : Manhattan 700894 Ball Bearing
Front :
Front Cooling Fan 1 : Silencer Mod. 802812 - 0.075 amp
Front Cooling Fan 2 : Generic Fan

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

You should change in the options under graphics to "software". Probably
it is now set to "hardware" but your graphics card is not compatible.

Damaeus wrote:
> When laying out new streets, roads, avenues and whatnot, in the transparent
> parts of the new layout (where streets are still under construction) if I
> scroll one direction or another, the new layout disappears and I get
> pixelization artifacts that remain in the same position on my screen until
> I stop scrolling and then they disappear. And even when I stop scrolling,
> the semitransparent layouts don't reappear. I won't see them again until
> the construction crew is finished building them.
>
> Also, when destroying buildings, the cloud of dust that results has a sharp
> border block. The cloud is there, and then there's a straight line and the
> cloud of dust doesn't extend beyond that line.
>
> I wondered if anybody else experienced these things. I don't think it's a
> hardware heat problem because this is something that happens from the
> start. I haven't thought to try this until now, but if I have time to play
> tomorrow, I'll see if SC4's screen capture will capture the artifacts.
>

> Here's a brief rundown of my hardware with all the probably irrelevent
> stuff removed:

> System Credentials - Hardware
> Motherboard : Abit NF7 -
> AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333 MHz (Not Overclocked)
> CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 (Recommended by AMD)
> DIMM3 - 512 MB PC-3200 DDR400 SD-RAM (Infineon)
> DIMM2 - 256 MB PC-3200 DDR400 SD-RAM (Unknown Brand)
> (DIMMs running in Dual Channel mode)
> AGP : Chaintech GeForce FX 5600XT (128MB DDR-RAM) 64-bit :-(
> Running nVidia Version 56.72 Reference Drivers
> NEC MultiSync FP2141SB 22" Monitor @ 1600 x 1200 x 85Hz
> : SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1
> Front Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
> Rear Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
> Center Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
> Gameport: Gravis xTerminator Digital Gamepad
>
> PS/2 1 : Logitech Optical MouseMan Wheel
> PS/2 2 : Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite
>
> Case: Antec SX1030B (Black)
> Power Supply: 500 Watts
> 5.25 #4 ex: Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Live Drive II/IR
> 3.5 #4 in: Maxtor 30GB ATA-66 7200RPM Hard Drive Model 53076U6
> VIA IDE1a (Master)
> 3.5 #5 in: Western Digital WD800JBRTL 80GB ATA-100 7200RPM HardDrive
> HighPoint IDE3a (Slave)
>
> Cooling :
> CPU: Heatsink : CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 (Recommended by AMD)
> Rear:
> P/S Cooling Fan : Antec DF1208SL - 0.20 amp - 12 volt
> Rear Cooling Fan 1 : Antec DF1208SL - 0.20 amp - 12 volt
> Rear Cooling Fan 2 : Manhattan 700894 Ball Bearing
> Front :
> Front Cooling Fan 1 : Silencer Mod. 802812 - 0.075 amp
> Front Cooling Fan 2 : Generic Fan

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Don't go to 'software' mode just yet.
I had problems with those drivers, so I went back to 53.03.
And I have read others who have had problems with any driver past 53.04.

Duane
"Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
> When laying out new streets, roads, avenues and whatnot, in the
transparent
> parts of the new layout (where streets are still under construction) if I
> scroll one direction or another, the new layout disappears and I get
> pixelization artifacts that remain in the same position on my screen until
> I stop scrolling and then they disappear. And even when I stop scrolling,
> the semitransparent layouts don't reappear. I won't see them again until
> the construction crew is finished building them.
>
> Also, when destroying buildings, the cloud of dust that results has a
sharp
> border block. The cloud is there, and then there's a straight line and
the
> cloud of dust doesn't extend beyond that line.
>
> I wondered if anybody else experienced these things. I don't think it's a
> hardware heat problem because this is something that happens from the
> start. I haven't thought to try this until now, but if I have time to
play
> tomorrow, I'll see if SC4's screen capture will capture the artifacts.
>

> Here's a brief rundown of my hardware with all the probably irrelevent
> stuff removed:

> System Credentials - Hardware
> Motherboard : Abit NF7 -
> AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333 MHz (Not Overclocked)
> CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 (Recommended by AMD)
> DIMM3 - 512 MB PC-3200 DDR400 SD-RAM (Infineon)
> DIMM2 - 256 MB PC-3200 DDR400 SD-RAM (Unknown Brand)
> (DIMMs running in Dual Channel mode)
> AGP : Chaintech GeForce FX 5600XT (128MB DDR-RAM) 64-bit :-(
> Running nVidia Version 56.72 Reference Drivers
> NEC MultiSync FP2141SB 22" Monitor @ 1600 x 1200 x
85Hz
> : SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1
> Front Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
> Rear Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
> Center Speaker Output: Altec Lansing 5.1
> Gameport: Gravis xTerminator Digital Gamepad
>
> PS/2 1 : Logitech Optical MouseMan Wheel
> PS/2 2 : Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite
>
> Case: Antec SX1030B (Black)
> Power Supply: 500 Watts
> 5.25 #4 ex: Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Live Drive II/IR
> 3.5 #4 in: Maxtor 30GB ATA-66 7200RPM Hard Drive Model 53076U6
> VIA IDE1a (Master)
> 3.5 #5 in: Western Digital WD800JBRTL 80GB ATA-100 7200RPM HardDrive
> HighPoint IDE3a (Slave)
>
> Cooling :
> CPU: Heatsink : CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 (Recommended by AMD)
> Rear:
> P/S Cooling Fan : Antec DF1208SL - 0.20 amp - 12 volt
> Rear Cooling Fan 1 : Antec DF1208SL - 0.20 amp - 12 volt
> Rear Cooling Fan 2 : Manhattan 700894 Ball Bearing
> Front :
> Front Cooling Fan 1 : Silencer Mod. 802812 - 0.075 amp
> Front Cooling Fan 2 : Generic Fan

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

In news:alt.games.simcity, Olaf <olafamm_REMOVESPAM@saunalahti.fi> posted
on Thu, 13 May 2004 21:47:13 +0300:

> You should change in the options under graphics to "software". Probably
> it is now set to "hardware" but your graphics card is not compatible.

Amazing that a current generation graphics card isn't compatible with a
game that came out BEFORE the current line of cards. Odd.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

In news:alt.games.simcity, Olaf <olafamm_REMOVESPAM@saunalahti.fi> posted
on Thu, 13 May 2004 21:47:13 +0300:

> You should change in the options under graphics to "software". Probably
> it is now set to "hardware" but your graphics card is not compatible.

Hmmm. The GeForce FX 5600 is in the compatible list, and that's what I
have. I updated the drivers a few weeks ago, but I'll do it again just to
see if it helps. I'm also running DirectX 9.0b.

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

In news:alt.games.simcity, "Duane Morse" <Duane@computerroom.com> posted on
Fri, 14 May 2004 15:26:10 -0600:

> Don't go to 'software' mode just yet.
> I had problems with those drivers, so I went back to 53.03.
> And I have read others who have had problems with any driver past 53.04.

Thanks. I'll try some older drivers, then. I experimented with software
mdoe and the performance is horrid. It reminded me of playing SimCity 3000
on an old Pentium 150. If the older drivers work for me, I'll write to
nVidia to inform them of the problem.

THanks again,
Damaeus

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

In news:alt.games.simcity, "Duane Morse" <Duane@computerroom.com> posted on
Fri, 14 May 2004 15:26:10 -0600:

> Don't go to 'software' mode just yet.
> I had problems with those drivers, so I went back to 53.03.
> And I have read others who have had problems with any driver past 53.04.

Hey, I downgraded to driver 53.05 and the problem is fixed completely.
Game looks better than it has before, and in fact, now, in the region view,
I see clouds! I saw no clouds with the newest drivers.

Well, I'll try the next set of drivers when they come out because IIRC, I
have an issue with another game when using driver 53.03, but I'm not
playing it now so it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again,
Damaeus

TRENDING THREADS